What is the purpose of groups? Well, if you have a large staff, 15Five can help you keep your reports in order by creating groups. That being said, some companies have the need for different types of groups, other than just 'Groups' or 'Departments'.
Let's break it down- your company might have Squads, Divisions, Locations, Teams, etc. These subsets should be created as 'Group types'. Within each of those group types, you will create groups. For example, you might have an 'R&D' group under the type 'Squads', a 'North America' group under the type 'Divisions', a 'New York' group under the type 'Locations', etc. Below are the steps to create group types and groups.
Before you create a group, we suggest creating a group type- allowing you to create a group within that group type. Lastly, you can add people to the group(s) and manage the settings. Let's get to it.
Create a group type and/or group
Only account admins can create group types. Account admins and reviewers can create groups. Account admins can create a group with anyone as the group admin and can include anyone as a member. Reviewers can create a group with only themselves as the group admin and can only include those people in their hierarchy as members. Once the group is created, only account admins and the group admin can manage.
1. Click on Settings from the left navigation.
2. Then click on 'People' to expand the people settings.
3. Last, click on 'Manage groups'.
4. Once on the Manage groups page, you will see two default group types- 'Groups' and 'Departments'. If those two groups suffice for your company structure, you can skip ahead to step 7 and create your group. If you are a reviewer, skip ahead to step 7, as you cannot create group types.
If you need to create additional group types, proceed to steps 5 & 6.
'Departments' is the default group type that we included to give you a head start on your group organization. Any Objectives departments will appear in the Departments group type. It can not be deleted, but feel free to rename 'Departments' to a group type title that is applicable for your company or move your departments into another group type.
5. Click Create a new group type.
6. Give your new group type a name and click Save.
7. After your group types look acceptable, you can create a new group. Click on the name of the group type under which you would like to add a group.
If you use SCIM to manage groups, please see the applicable article with instructions on managing group types and groups.
8. Click the Create a new group button.
9. Name your group.
10. Double-check that the group is being created under the correct 'Group type'.
11. Select a group admin. (This field is optional.)
Group admin can be any account admin or any reviewer. If no group admin is chosen, any account admin OR reviewer can edit the group. Group administrators do not have visibility into all group members' 15Fives automatically. If the group admin needs visibility into anyone's 15Fives, they can request to follow those people. Group admins are also not members of the group by default. If the group admin should also be a member of the group, please add them as such.
12. Add group members.
Account admins can add anyone as a member. Reviewers can add anyone they have the ability to manage as a member. Check the 'Manage people' page to see who can be included in your group.
13. Choose the settings for your group. The below screenshot shows the default settings when creating a group.
Success Center article 🗒: Set permissions and visibility for my group
Success Center article 🗒: Using questions to gather insights
Success Center article 🗒: Set priorities and track accomplishments
14. Make sure to click Create group when you're done!