If you are ready to create an objective, but want it to be visible to only a select few people or maybe only you and your manager, you can create a "private" objective. Examples of when you might want an objective to be visible to only specific people is if the objective is a self-development objective or a personal objective. There are definitely advantages to creating public objectives, but we do understand that visibility is not a one size fits all thing. A few things to remember when creating an objective, specifically a private one.
- When it comes to Learning Objectives, specific and challenging goals have a negative effect on performance. Instead we recommend employees set short-term and general “do your best” goals for Learning Objectives.
- To foster intrinsic motivation in all employees, there should be a convergence of desires where business and personal needs align.
How do I create a private objective?
1. Click on the 'Objectives' tab.
2. Click on 'Create a new objective'.
3. Name your objective.
4. Select yourself as the owner.
5. Decide who the objective is for: A Person, A Group, Whole Company
6. Select the type of objective you are trying to create based on who the objective is for.
7. Create key results to measure your objective. Key results can be measured in percentage, dollar, number, or completed/not completed.
For additional currency values, click '...', 'Other currency', and use the drop down to choose the currency that applies.
8. Under 'What is the objective privacy setting?', select 'Specific people' and add anyone you would like to have visibility into this objective.
9. You may see a question titled 'Who can update and edit this objective?'. This option, if enabled, allows you to add groups or people as editors for the objective. Adding people in this section will allow the selected people and/or groups to edit, manage, update, and delete your objective. Use cases for this option: team objectives, objectives being worked on cross collaterally, objectives managed by two teammates.
10. Finish your objective by clicking the 'Create objective' button.
Success Center article 🗒: Manage your objectives