Peer reviews are where someone is asked and answers questions about their teammate's/co-worker's development. Peer reviews lead to increased performance, goal orientation, and a growth mindset! It is a win-win to recognize others and be recognized yourself. If during the review process, you as a manager need to help nominate peers for your direct report(s), this article will walk you through how to do that. You will only be able to nominate peers on your direct report's behalf if your direct report is a participant in the cycle.
Nominate peers for your team: process overview
- Only your direct report(s) that are participants in the review cycle can have peer reviews written of them.
- As a manager, it is likely that the first interaction you will have with your direct reports in a review cycle is during the peer nomination window.
- Peers can be nominated, by your direct report or you, up until the cycle end date or until the review has been finalized—whichever comes first.
- Peer nominations can be removed up until the peer accepts/declines the nomination.
- Can be removed by the participant if the nomination hasn't already been approved.
- Can be removed by you if the nomination has already been approved.
- If you choose to nominate peers on your direct report's behalf, they will automatically be approved by you and passed on to the peer for acceptance/denial. We recommend only nominating peers who work closely with your direct report(s).
- Depending on the review settings, any peer nomination that has not been rejected/approved by the manager approval deadline will be auto-approved. To update this auto-approval setting, reach out to a review admin to edit the settings, prior to the manager approval deadline.
- You can monitor peer nominations for your team by clicking on the 'Peer nominations' tab for the cycle and then find the tab labeled 'My team'.
Nominate peers on behalf of your team
1. Click on Best-Self Review® from the left navigation.
2. Click on the name of the cycle you need to work on. It will be under the 'Active review cycles' section.
3. Click on the 'Peer nominations' tab.
4. You will end up on the 'My team' tab. If not, click it.
5. Find the participant you would like to add nominations for and click Add peer to the far right of their name.
You can find a direct report using the search option, if you have more direct reports than are readily visible.
6. A screen will pop up that allows you to add peers on your direct report's behalf. Peers that you nominate via this method are nominated and approved simultaneously.
If your company has a max/min limit set up, you may be limited in the number of peers you can nominate for your direct report(s). In the above example, "You can nominate 2 more peers for this review."
7. After selecting the peer(s) by searching or using the drop-down menu, click the orange Confirm button.
8. After nominating a peer(s), the peer(s) will receive an email asking them to accept/decline the nomination.
If a peer declines a nomination, the manager and the participant will both be notified and the peer chart shown below will show a 'Declined' peer status.
If a peer accepts a nomination, no notifications are sent out until the peer submits their peer review and the peer chart shown below will show an 'Accepted' peer status.
9. To get to the above view, use the dropdown arrow for added insight into the direct report's peers, statuses, and other actions you can take as a manager.
10. Click the ... option to the right of the peer nomination chart to Show/Hide removed nominations or Remove declined and denied. Remember, removing declined and denied nominations will delete the nominations that have been denied by you or declined by a peer.
11. If time passes and the peer has not accepted/declined the nomination, feel free to send them a reminder email using the Nudge button.
12. Once the peer has accepted the nomination, their peer status will update to Accepted. See the screenshot in step 8 to see that status.