Today we’re announcing early access to a new and robust set of capabilities that will allow you to filter, sort, and search for your company’s objectives in a more insightful way.
The goal of this new functionality is to give customers who have complex organizational structures the ability to slice and dice objectives however they would like and then act on that data by exporting or sending a deep link to others.
How to become an 'Early Adopter'
If you would like to participate in this Early Adopter process, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them you would like to turn on the Early Adopter features for your company. If you have a CSM, you can also request access by reaching out to them. You must be a company admin to request this access.
How to provide feedback to 15Five
We would love your constructive feedback so that we can improve on this exciting new feature. To provide feedback, please fill out this two-minute survey.
What to expect, including the details
When you navigate to the Objectives tab in your 15Five account, you will no longer see the traditional sub tabs. Instead, you will see a new set of filters at the top of the page.
New features you will see as part of the Early Adopter Program (seen on the 'All objectives' page)
- New filter options on the 'All objectives' page (see below)
- Deep links to sets of filtered objectives, with a “share link” button to copy the URL to a clipboard (see below)
- CSV file export (see below)
What are my options within each filter?
- By your org- options include 'My objectives', 'My direct reports' objectives', and/or 'My hierarchy's objectives'; ie "I want to see my direct reports' objectives, their direct reports' objectives, all the way down." If you do not have direct reports, some of these options will not appear for you.
- By groups- options include all objectives owned by people in the selected group; ie "I want to see all objectives owned by someone in 'Sales'."
- By owners- options include all people with public objectives or people whose private objectives you can view; ie "I want to see all objectives owned by Dwight Schrute."
- By direct reports- options include all of your direct reports' teams; ie if I am above Michael Scott and "I want to see all objectives owned by Michael Scott's direct reports." If you do not have direct reports, this option will not appear for you.
- By hierarchy- options include all of your direct reports' hierarchies; ie if I am above Michael Scott and "I want to see all objectives owned by Michael Scott's hierarchy." If you do not have direct reports, this option will not appear for you.
The 'Objective owners' filter is where you are going to go when you want to pull objectives for a specific person, team, or group. This filter allows you to select more than one option, in case you want to view multiple people's or multiple group's objectives. Alternatively, if you would like to see everyone's objectives, you can leave this filter blank.
TIP 💡: Best practice for the 'Objective owners' filter is to start typing the name of the person whose objectives or team objectives you want to see, and all mentions of their name will pop up. Similarly, start typing the name of a group and all mentions of that group will appear.
Some common use cases of this filter: 1️⃣ "I want to see all objectives that I own AND objectives owned by my direct reports." You would select the filters 'My objectives' and 'My direct reports'. 2️⃣ "I am two levels above Dwight Schrute, and I want to see all objectives owned by his hierarchy." You would select the filter 'Dwight Schrute's hierarchy'. 3️⃣ "I want to see all objectives owned by anyone below me." The 'My hierarchy' option will show the objectives for your direct reports, their direct reports, and so on all the way down the hierarchy. 4️⃣ "I want to see all objectives owned by Pam Beesly, Andy Bernard, and Angela Martin." You would select these three people under the 'By owners' section of this filter.
- Current: this filter option shows all objectives whose due date has not yet passed; ie another term for current might be 'active' or 'present'.
- Open: this filter option shows all objectives that are past due for the time frame selected, but have not been closed; ie "I want to see all objectives that have not been closed or archived, but whose dates fall within the selected date range."
- Past due: this filter option shows all objectives whose due date is in the past.
- Closed: this filter option shows all objectives that have been closed.
- Archived: this filter option shows all objectives that have been archived.
- Future: this filter option shows all objectives whose start date is in the future.
Searching by 'Objective state' enables you to see all current, open, past due, closed, archived, and future objectives. If you would like to see all objectives regardless of state, feel free to leave this filter blank. Leaving this filter blank will likely yield a high number of objectives.
Some common use cases of this filter: 1️⃣ "What objectives are coming up next quarter?" Set the dates to match the start and end of next quarter. 2️⃣ "How did our company do last quarter on objectives?" Set the dates to match last quarter's dates. 3️⃣ What objectives are hanging out and need some action taken? Choose the option 'Open' to see what objectives have not been closed or archived + all current objectives given the date range selected.
- By type- options include 'Company-wide', 'Department', 'Individual', and 'Self-development'; ie "I want to see all Department and Individual objectives that match my other selected filters."
- By department- options include all departments with objectives; ie "I want to see all department objectives that match my other selected filters." Remember that departments do not have members, which means this filter will not show you all objectives that are owned by members of the Sales group. Use the Objective owners filter>>> Groups>>> Sales to see this information.
The 'Objective type' filter will enable you to look up objectives categorized as company-wide, department, individual, and self-development. If you want to only look at one or a few departments at a time, you can select the specific department to find all objectives that are assigned to that department.
Some common use cases of this filter: 1️⃣ "What are the Customer Success department objectives?" 2️⃣ "How many of our employees have self-development objectives?" 3️⃣ "I want to see all company-wide objectives and all Leadership department objectives."
- On track- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters and whose last update was marked as "on track".
- Behind- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters and whose last update was marked as "behind".
- At risk- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters and whose last update was marked as "at risk".
- No status- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters and have not yet been given a status. If the objective owner has not submitted a 15Five since the objective was created or has simply not given the objective a status, it would fall into this filter.
The 'Objective status' filter option will give you the opportunity to find objectives that are marked as on track, behind, at risk, or given no status. This is the green, yellow, red option that employees select when they are filling out their 15Five check-in or updating an objective; this search is based on the last updated status.
- All alignment- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters, regardless of alignment.
- Aligned- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters and are aligned with a parent or child objective.
- Unaligned- this filter shows all objectives that match the other selected filters, and are not aligned with a parent or child objective.
The 'Alignment' filter allows you to see what objectives are aligned. What does it mean to be aligned? Either the objective is a parent objective or the objective has child objectives. Our research and the science behind objectives says that employees value being able to see how their individual actions roll-up to the company-wide objectives, so this filter will enable you to see what objectives are not aligned and take any needed action.
If you would like to reset your filters and start a new search from scratch, simply select the 'Reset to default' button and the default settings will be restored.
Next to the 'Export as CSV' option, there is a "Share link" button. When you click on 'Share link', the URL/link to the page you see becomes copied. The filters are also copied and will be included when the link is opened by others. The copied link can be pasted and sent to teammates. As long as the people you send the link to have the same permissions as you, they will be able to use that link to see exactly what you are seeing.
Export as CSV
The 'Export as CSV' option gives you a CSV download of all the objectives that appear on the page. The CSV will only include the objectives that match the filters selected, making it easy to share what you are looking at with others.
Other features that were recently released to all customers (also on the 'All objectives' page):
- Search objectives and key results by keyword
- Sort displayed objectives using multiple sort options
Success Center article 🗒: 15Five releases - September 10, 2019
Success Center article 🗒: Search and sort objectives
What can be done with these new features?
You now have the ability to filter Objectives in more robust ways. You can filter by: Direct reports, Manager, Open status, Past due status, Group members, and more. You can also select multiple filters at one time to customize your views even further.
Objectives can be found more easily with Keyword Search and the results can be easily shared and exported via the 'Share link' and 'Export as CSV' buttons.
How to turn off the Early Adopter features
In the short term, if you prefer to go back to the original filter and sub-tab view, contact your Customer Success Manager or the Customer Support team at email@example.com .