If you have two groups that need to be combined into one, we have a way for you to merge the groups. It takes a couple of steps, but the end result is clean and organized. Before you get started, there are some things to know about merging.
What happens when I merge groups?
Here's an example: I am moving the 'Sales' group from the 'Departments' group type to the 'Squads' group type, but there is already a 'Sales' group in 'Squads'... 😬
- Questions will be combined- meaning all questions from both 'Sales' groups will remain. If one group had questions and one didn't, the one set of questions will carry over.
- Members will be combined- meaning all members from both 'Sales' groups will remain. If one group had no members, then only the members of the other group will exist after the merge.
- Any group settings that are the same are retained for both groups- meaning if both 'Sales' groups had company-wide questions OFF, the new group will also have company-wide questions OFF.
- Any group settings that are different between the two groups are discarded and the new combined group’s settings are reverted to the system’s default settings- If one group has 'Priorities' ON and on group has 'Priorities' OFF. In this case, 'Priorities' would be ON for the combined group, since it is on by default when creating a group.
- Default group settings:
- If both 'Sales' groups have the same group admin, that group admin is retained.
- If one of the groups has a group admin but the other one does not, we maintain the preexisting group admin for the combined group- 'Sales' group in Departments does not have a group admin, and Joann is the group admin for the 'Sales' group in Squads, then Joann will remain the group admin for the merged group.
- If both groups have a group admin, then both group admins will be removed as group admin and the group admin designation will be blank- Joe is the group admin for the 'Sales' group in Departments and Joann is the group admin for the 'Sales' group in Squads, then there will be no group admin for the merged group.
- Having no group admin means that any company admin, the group's creator, or the reviewer (if all group members are in their hierarchy) can edit the group.
Merge two groups of the same name:
1. Click on 'Settings' from the left navigation.
2. Click on 'People' to expand the people settings.
3. Last, click on 'Manage groups'.
4. Find the group type that houses the group you want to merge and click into it. If you want to merge 'Sales' Team with 'Sales' Department, click into the group type 'Team'.
5. Find the group that you want to merge and check the box to the left of the name.
6. Use the 'Actions' drop down menu to select 'Change group type'.
7. Find the group type where you would like this group to move to- this is the group type that houses the group of the same name, in this case the group type that houses the other 'Sales' group.
8. Click 'Change group type'.
9. A pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm your changes. Be sure to read the "What happens when I merge groups?" section at the top of this article.
10. If all is well, click 'Continue changing'.
11. You will be taken to the merged group containing all members of both groups and the settings for the merged group. Give them a look before saving.
12. Remember to save your changes!