This article is an overview of the different ways to create and maintain your employee list within the Engagement Product.
Why Employee Data is so Critical
Keeping your employee details accurate and up to date leading up to an assessment is critical for two reasons.
- Getting good engagement insight is dependent upon employees getting and taking assessments. Accurate email, phone number, and employee IDs enable the best chance at reaching employees and ensuring smooth assessment completion.
- Grouping employees correctly is a critical factor in gaining accurate and effective insight. Groups should be aligned with how your organization is enabled to act and where you think there are meaningful differences that might cause engagement to be higher or lower.
How to Add and Update Employees
There are three different ways you can add or make changes to employees inside the Engagement product. Which is best for you depends on your org size, how robust your employee information systems are, and how many special groupings you have for your employees. If you have a source system that you'll be exporting from that has a stable and unique identifier for each employee AND groupings that are all stored in that system, we suggest skipping to the third option here.
- Update Employees Individually Inside 15Five Engage: The simplest way to manage employees is directly inside the Engagement product. Once your employees have been added to the system, you can manage their employment status (active, on leave, terminated) and add or remove them to existing groups. If you need to add a group or grouping, reach out to email@example.com. If you want to manage your employees one by one, check out our "Add or edit employees in Engagement" Help Center article.
- Bulk Update Based on Export from 15Five: This method is best in two cases: 1) You have a relatively small number of changes each cycle and/or you have special groupings in 15Five or more accurate data in 15Five (like phone or email information. Or, 2) You are making a few specific changes to groups or employees, but too many to do one by one (10-50).
In those cases, you can download your existing employee list, make edits inside of the CSV file (using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets) and then use the Bulk Employee Import tool. You can use this option in combination with #1 if you need to make significant changes or if your employee list is large enough that one-off changes are too tedious. This option has the added benefit of allowing you to add new groups when making changes. To use this method, please read our "Bulk update employees in Engagement" Help Center article.
- Bulk Update from Your Source Data: If you have an employee information system where you'll be exporting new information and keeping all groupings and data, you can provide 15Five with an export that we will import into our system. This export requires a unique identifier that is NEVER CHANGING and UNIQUE for ALL employees. In this method, we will use your identifier for employees. This can make your effort much easier when sending new data because you do not have to first export 15Five information. You can simply export active employees from your system and send them to us. Read our article about using your own bulk data for employee imports to learn more.