15Five's 1-on-1 feature is designed to help you get the most out of your meetings. Using our guided structure, it’s easier to focus on priorities, challenges, and progress so everyone’s aligned, motivated, and engaged.
In this article, you will learn how to...
Check out these additional resources ⬇️
Create a new 1-on-1 agenda
This section walks through how to create a new 1-on-1 agenda with someone you haven't previously held a 1-on-1 with. To schedule a 1-on-1 with someone who is already on your 'My 1-on-1s' list, please see the "Schedule a 1-on-1" section of this article.
- Click 1-on-1s in 15Five's main, left-hand navigation bar.
- You'll land on your 'My 1-on-1s' page.
The 1-on-1s that appear on this page depend on 1) your role in 15Five and 2) whether or not your company has 1-on-1s with anyone enabled. If 1-on-1s with anyone is not enabled, managers will see 1-on-1s with all of their direct reports and direct reports will see a 1-on-1 with their manager. If 1-on-1s with anyone is enabled, the above will be true, and, additionally, you will see a list of all people you've previously held 1-on-1s with.
- To create a new 1-on-1 with someone who isn't currently on your 'My 1-on-1s' list, click the Create a new 1-on-1 button.
- A 'Create a new 1-on-1 agenda' pop-up will appear. Click into the search bar and begin typing the name of the person you want to create a new 1-on-1 agenda with.
If you don't see the option to create a 1-on-1 with someone who isn't either your direct manager or your direct report, your company doesn't have 1-on-1s with anyone enabled. If desired, reach out to one of your account admins to request that they enable this feature.
- Click Create a new 1-on-1.
- You will be automatically redirected to the 1-on-1 agenda wizard. On this page, you will see talking point resources to help you craft your first 1-on-1 agenda with this person. Utilize these resources, or click Start crafting my 1-on-1 to create a 1-on-1 agenda from scratch.
Schedule a 1-on-1
1-on-1 meetings are most effective when held regularly, and scheduling your 1-on-1s in advance or on a recurring basis ensures that meetings are taking place at a regular cadence. Below are the steps to scheduling a 1-on-1— either as a one-time or recurring meeting.
- From the 'My 1-on-1s' page, click on the name of the person you want to schedule a 1-on-1 with. This will open your current 1-on-1 agenda with them.
- Look at the top right-hand corner of the 1-on-1 agenda— you will see a '1-on-1 Settings' box.
- Click the Schedule 1-on-1 button. A 1-on-1 settings pop-up will appear.
If your 15Five account is integrated with Google Calendar, the pop-up will ask you to select a date and time for your 1-on-1, and select whether or not you want an email invitation to go out to the other 1-on-1 participant. It is not possible to set up recurring 1-on-1s in 15Five if you use the Google Calendar integration. Instead, you can create a recurring event in Google Cal and add a static 1-on-1 link to your calendar invite.
If your 15Five account is not integrated with Google Calendar, the pop-up ask you to select a date for your 1-on-1 and choose whether you want this 1-on-1 to repeat or not.
If you want the 1-on-1 meetings with this person to be managed and scheduled on an individual meeting basis, click Does not repeat. Then you're done with scheduling until the current 1-on-1 has been ended and you're ready to schedule the next.
If you want the 1-on-1s with this person to be recurring, meaning ended and created automatically on a regular cadence, click the Repeats option. After choosing the repeating option, decide on the cadence and whether or not the 1-on-1 should be ended automatically.
- Click Save.
- Now from the 1-on-1 agenda, you will see tjme scheduled date in the '1-on-1 Settings' section. If, at any time, you need to change your 1-on-1 schedule or reschedule a 1-on-1, simply click Reschedule 1-on-1.
Use the Copy link to 1-on-1 button to copy a direct link to the 1-on-1 agenda. Then add the copied link to the calendar invite for easy access to the current 1-on-1 agenda for both parties! For more information, check out our Add a static 1-on-1 link to your calendar invite Help Center article.
End a 1-on-1
Follow the steps below to end a 1-on-1. You cannot reopen a 1-on-1 in 15Five once it's ended. If you need to reopen an ended 1-on-1, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From the 'My 1-on-1s' page, click on the name of the person you want to end a 1-on-1 with. This will open your current 1-on-1 agenda with them.
- Click the End 1-on-1 button at the bottom of the page.
- A calendar will appear that allows you to select the date on which you held the 1-on-1. Select the correct date, then click End.
- After your 1-on-1 has been ended, a summary email with shared notes and action items will be sent to both parties. The 1-on-1 summary email will be sent 1 hour after the meeting is ended. Shared notes can be edited at anytime, even hours or days after the 1-on-1 ended.