Classic research shows again and again that goals/objectives are extremely effective at increasing performance and engagement. When individuals set Objectives, they consciously decide on the goals they want to accomplish and within what timeframe, which steers behavior, energizes, and directs an employee’s attention. Further more, OKRs are most effective when they are flexible and can adjust during the quarter to match business needs. All of this objective setting leads to greater effort, which improves performance.
Objectives are what the organization or individual wants to accomplish, and are typically qualitative or subjective, ambitious, and time-bound. Key Results are concrete, specific, and measurable.
Science 🔬: Get scientific about Objectives!
Create an objective
1. Click on the 'Objectives' tab in your top navigation bar.
2. Click on the 'Create a new objective' button.
3. Name your objective.
4. Choose who the owner of the objective should be. The people included in this drop-down menu will vary based on your company's permissions for Objectives.
5. Decide who the objective is for: A Person, A Group, Whole Company
6. Select the type of objective you are trying to create based on who the objective is for.
If you are creating a group objective, choose the group that the objective is for.
7. If aligned objectives is enabled for your company, you will see the option to align this objective with a parent objective.
8. Create key results to measure your objective. Key results can be measured in percentage, dollar, number, or completed/not completed.
For additional currency values, click '...', 'Other currency', and use the drop down to choose the currency that applies.
9. Add your privacy settings; Public, 15Five permissions, or Specific people (you + your manager always, and anyone else you choose to include). For more information on these settings, see this article.
10. You may see a question titled 'Who can update and edit this objective?'. This option, if enabled, allows you to add groups or people as editors for the objective. Adding people in this section will allow the selected people and/or groups to edit, manage, update, and delete your objective. Use cases for this option: team objectives being worked on by a group, objectives being worked on cross collaterally, objectives managed by two teammates.
11. Finish your objective by clicking the 'Create objective' button.
Guide 📖: Objective and Key Results (OKR)
Video 🎥: Create an objective
Measurement options for key results
You can adjust your key results to be in a percentage, revenue-based format, or another metric number that your team tracks. Make sure to 'Show advanced options' in order to use these metrics.
To update any details of a key result after it has been saved, see this article.