A manager review is completed for each of your employees/direct reports. You will be asked the same questions that your employee was asked on their self review. Asking both employee and manager the same questions reduces bias and creates a fair performance review environment.
Science 🔬: Best-Self Review™
- After your employee has submitted their self review or after the self review window has passed, you will be able to submit your manager review of them.
- You can draft up your manager review before you are able to submit it. However, you cannot submit your manager review before your employee submits their self review or the deadline for self reviews has passed.
- Your manager review will not be visible to your employee/direct report until you 'Share results' at the end of the cycle.
- Manager reviews become visible to the employee once the manager decides to 'Share results'. Manager reviews become visible to review admins (and the participant's hierarchy if visibility is hierarchy) once submitted by the manager.
- Following the manager review, you will begin scheduling final meetings. These meetings are where you will complete the Summary portion of the review cycle.
To complete manager reviews for your team:
1. Go into your 'Reviews' tab in 15Five.
2. Click on the active cycle that applies.
3. From the 'Overview' tab, you will see a menu with options 'Me', 'My team', 'My hierarchy', and 'Whole company'. Depending on your role and the visibility settings for the cycle, you may not see 'My hierarchy' and 'Whole company'.
4. Click the 'My team' option.
5. Scroll down to 'Review progress' for your team, click the '...' next to the employee whose manager review you want to complete, and then click 'View'.
6. There will be a 'Manager' tab after the 'Peer' tab.
Private manager assessment
Also included in manager reviews is the 'Private manager assessment'. This section of the manager review is denoted by a pink background. The 'Private manager assessment' piece of Manager reviews is only visible to the manager who completed the review and the review admins. Additionally, the 'Private manager assessment' includes future focused questions inspired by research from Deloitte and highlighted in the April 2015 HBR article, Reinventing Performance Management, by Marcus Buckingham and Ashley Goodall. Questions 1 - 3 are taken directly from Deloitte, question 4 has been adjusted and Question 5 is 15Five's addition.
Questions for the 'Private manager assessment' are managed by your review admins from within the review question templates.
- Review your employee's peer feedback
- Share results with employee using 'Share results' button
- Hold final meeting with employees to discuss review results
- Complete and finalize summary after meeting