If a manager is included in a Best-Self review® cycle that includes upward reviews, each of their direct reports will be asked to write an upward review about them. By default, anyone the manager is appointed as the "direct manager" for in individual account settings will be asked to write an upward review about the manager in the review cycle. However, it's possible to change who is responsible for writing upward reviews (for example, if a person's manager recently changed and you want them to write an upward review about their previous manager).
Changing a person's upward reviewers in a review cycle does not impact any other features or settings in 15Five— it is for the review cycle only. Additionally, it's important to note that a person can only complete one upward review in any given review cycle.
In this article, you will learn...
Only review admin can access the 'Edit individual settings' page. You also can not add upward reviews for employees that are also peer reviewing that same employee.
Change upward review authors for a participant
- Click on Best-Self Review® in 15Five's main, lefthand navigation.
- Click on the name of the active or upcoming review cycle you want to edit a participant's upward reviewers in.
- You are now on the review cycle's overview page. From here, search for the review cycle participant whose upward reviewers you want to edit.
- Use the '...' option to the right of the participant who needs to be updated and click 'Edit individual settings'.
- You are now on the review cycle participant's 'Edit Individual Settings' (EIS) page. From here, click Edit next to the 'Upward review'.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the individuals you want to be responsible for writing upward reviews about the participant. You cannot select a person as an upward reviewer if they're the participant's manager, if they've already been nominated as a peer reviewer for the participant, if they are already assigned as an upward review author for another participant, or if they are globally excluded from review cycles. After selecting the new upward reviewers for this cycle, click Save.
An individual can only complete one upward review in a review cycle.
- You're all set! The assigned individuals will now be asked to complete an upward review of this participant.