Only Rippling administrators can set up this integration. Only 15Five account admins can generate an API token.
Rippling helps businesses manage every employee system — Payroll, Benefits, Computers, Apps and more — all in one, modern platform. By connecting every system across the company to one employee system of record, businesses can automate traditionally manual tasks.
The 15Five <> Rippling API integration allows you pass employee and group data between 15Five and Rippling, as well as allow employees to log into 15Five via SSO. You also have the option to sync performance data from 15Five to Rippling.
What you’ll find in this article:
- Integration overview
- Set up the integration in 15Five
- Complete integration setup in Rippling
- Use the 15Five integration in Rippling
- Disable the integration
Automatically create and remove accounts in 15Five: Connect 15Five with Rippling to automatically create and remove user accounts when you onboard and off-board employees— all through the API. Using Smart Rules, you can configure who should have administrative status access (and when they should have it), so each employee gets the correct permissions in 15Five.
- Manage 15Five group membership in Rippling: You can map groups in 15Five to existing groups in Rippling so that group membership can be controlled from within Rippling. Configure groups using specific employee names or by fields in Rippling like department, role, employment status, or management level to keep your teams together!
- Sync employee data: You can set the integration up to sync attributes from Rippling to 15Five.
Use Single Sign-On to access 15Five: Your team can access the 15Five app in a single click via Rippling SSO (SAML).
- Sync performance data from 15Five to Rippling: You can opt to push Pulse, OKR, and performance review data from 15Five to Rippling.
API data fields transferred
Data Pushed to 15Five from Rippling
|Rippling Field||15Five Field|
Review Data Pulled from 15Five to Rippling
|Rippling Field||15Five Field|
Objectives Data Pulled from 15Five to Rippling
|Rippling Field||15Five Field|
Pulse Data Pulled from 15Five to Rippling
|Rippling Field||15Five Field|
Set up the integration in 15Five
To set up the Rippling integration you will need to take steps in both 15Five and Rippling. You'll start by enabling the Public API and generating an API key in 15Five, then you'll move over to Rippling to set up the actual integration. We've outlined each of these processes below.
Enable the Public API
- Click on the Settings gear in top right-hand corner of 15Five.
- Select 'Features' from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Integrations'.
- Click Enable to the right of the Public API option.
- You'll land on the 'Company API keys' page.
Generate an API key
- On the 'Company API keys' page, click the Create new key button.
- Add in a short name for your API key. This name can be anything; typically it's a name that is easily identifiable from your server-side (for example, "Rippling API key"). If you would like to limit the API access to High Fives only, check that box before saving.
- Click Save.
- You will be directed back to the 'Company API keys' page, where you will see the new API key and access token. Use this access token to link 15Five's API to Rippling.
A Public API key is 32 characters long- not to be confused with a SCIM key, which is 30 characters long.
The endpoint for your API, assuming you do not have a unique subdomain in 15Five, is my.15five.com.
Complete integration setup in Rippling
Enter your API key into Rippling
After entering your API key into Rippling, you will be prompted to import performance data from 15Five.
- Select Yes, if you wish to use 15Five directly from within Rippling.
- Select No if you want to use the provisioning aspect of the 15Five integration, but don't want to use 15Five itself directly from Rippling.
Customize integration options
- Decide which employees will have accounts created for them in 15Five when they're added to Rippling.
- Decide when people will receive access to 15Five.
- Match your pre-existing employee accounts in 15Five with your corresponding employee accounts in Rippling. In some cases, Rippling’s matching algorithm will not be able to identify an exact match. If this occurs, you should match your pre-existing 15Five accounts with the corresponding employee accounts in Rippling.
Add individuals or groups to 15Five groups. Groups first need to be created in 15Five to show up in Rippling. If 15Five recognizes a new group name in the columns 'add_to_groups' or 'active_groups' from your import, these groups will be created upon import. Please exercise caution when you are assigning individuals or Rippling groups to groups in 15Five, as any group changes in Rippling will take place in 15Five as well.
You can also manually synchronize your groups to retrieve the latest accounts from 15Five to associate with your Rippling groups.
Set up SSO
Now that you’ve set up your API connection to 15Five, you have the option to set up Single Sign-On (SSO) for your employees. Enabling SSO will allow employees to log into 15Five using their Rippling account. Please follow the SAML instructions on screen in order to configure SSO for your account.
If you’d prefer to not set up SSO, select I’ll Do This Later in the bottom right corner. In this case, employees will be asked to create a password when they log into 15Five for the first time.
Test your SSO configuration before enabling it to make sure that you don't get locked out of your account.
Enable performance data syncing from 15Five > Rippling
The 15Five <> Rippling integration gives you the option to push performance data (Pulse scores, OKR data, and review data) from 15Five to Rippling. To enable the Rippling 15Five integration for performance data, please select the 15Five dashboard and go to the ‘Settings’ tab. Click on the '15Five Options’ tab and click Edit. Set ‘Important performance data from 15Five’ to 'Yes' and click Save.
Once users have been matched within the matching page, a new tab titled ‘Performance’ will be visible in the profile pages of users.
Use the 15Five integration in Rippling
In addition to auto-provisioning and single sign-on, the integration with 15Five allows you to control group membership and view employee Pulse, OKR, and review data from within Rippling.
15Five Pulse data is collected through a regular, 1-5 scale question asked in employee Check-ins: "How did you feel at work this week?". You can use the Pulse data section of the 15Five integration in Rippling to view Pulse data in aggregated form.
Only 15Five account admins are able to see employee Pulse information on the Rippling application dashboard.
Once you're on an employee’s or your own profile page in Rippling, select ’15Five’. This allows you to view the individuals Pulse data, OKRs, and Review cycles- so long as you're are properly allowed to view this data based on 15Five permissions.
The Objectives section in Rippling shows all 15Five objectives for your company. In this section you can see the remaining time to completion and completion percentage as marked within 15Five.
Reviews shows an employee's Ended, Active, and Upcoming review cycles. Employees are able to view the review cycles they have and the cycle periods associated with each review cycle.
For each data point mentioned, Rippling provides deep links to view the data from directly within 15Five.
Disable the 15Five <> Rippling integration
- To disconnect your 15Five account, access your 15Five Application in Rippling and select ‘Settings’.
- From the ‘Settings’ tab, find the ‘Manage App Accounts’ options. Click on the trash icon to remove the connection between 15Five and Rippling.
- Q: How do I create and manage users?
A: Connect 15Five with Rippling to automatically create and remove user accounts when you onboard and offboard employees. You can use smart rules to set configurations about who should have access to which administrative status– and when– so each employee gets 15Five access in addition to the correct permissions. If SSO/SAML is enabled, users will be able to access 15Five through Rippling. If SSO/SAML is not enabled, users will use their email and set a 15Five password to log in.
- Q: What information is pushed to 15Five via SSO/SAML?
A: Employee Email, First Name, Last Name, Job Title, Manager Email, Work Location, and Employee ID
Q: How and when does data syncing occur between 15Five + Rippling?
A: All data fields are synced on any update to a user. Daily data syncing occurs at approximately 1:30am pst, but manual syncs can be triggered from directly within the Rippling 15Five Application at any time.
- Q: Who can view 15Five data in Rippling?
|Type of Data||Which fields are used by Rippling||Where in Rippling is it shown?||Who can view the data?|
|Individual pulse data||The value and create_ts of all pulses||Profile page||Self, and admins with permission to view sensitive data|
|Individual’s objectives||The description, percentage, is_closed, start_ts, and end_ts of any objectives with scope=’individual’||Profile page||Self, and admins with permission to view sensitive data|
|Individual’s review cycles||The name, cycle_start_ts, cycle_end_ts, status of review cycles, and number of completed reviews for individual. Does NOT include contents of actual reviews.||Profile page||Self, and admins with permission to view sensitive data|
|Aggregate pulse data||Pulse values averaged over the whole company, or filtered by department, location, etc. In practice, the user may be able to filter down to showing only a single person’s pulse data.||Rippling 15Five Application||Admins with permission to view sensitive data|