Once you've created custom attributes for your organization, the next step is to populate those attributes for employees. In this article, we'll walk through the processes of bulk updating or even combining the process of bulk creating and updating custom attributes in employee account settings. This guide simplifies the complexities of mass attribute management, ensuring you save time and maintain consistency.
Access and availability
If you're only looking to update attributes for a few people, you can do so one-off by editing their account settings pages.
Bulk create/update custom attributes
- Click on the Settings gear in the top, right-hand corner of 15Five.
- Select 'People' from the dropdown menu.
- Use the top navigation bar to open the 'Import' tab.
- Download your company's current employment structure by clicking the Download current structure button at the top of the page.
We suggest downloading one copy of your current structure to keep in a safe place for re-upload in case any unintended changes are made when you upload your CSV, and downloading a second copy to make edits to. You can then upload the edited CSV.
- Remove all unnecessary columns on the CSV. The only required columns are 'email' and the custom attribute columns you would like to update.
- Columns for custom attributes that have already been created will appear on the far right-hand side of the CSV.
- If you're creating custom attributes in this bulk import, ensure that the format of your column(s) is custom_attribute. Examples: custom_department, custom_birthday, custom_salary, custom_t-shirt_size.
- Fill in the attribute information for each person. Formats are text (or alphanumerical) and date (MM/DD/YYYY). Leaving the attribute blank for a person will result in the corresponding field in their account settings remaining blank.
Attributes added and updated via CSV in the same step will be visible and editable by account administrators by default. To update visibility or editing settings, go to the 'Attributes' page and edit the attribute accordingly.
- Save your CSV. Then, click Choose file at the bottom of the screen and find the CSV from your computer that you would like to import. Please note: the file must be in UTF-8 CSV format.
- Once you have selected the file that you want to import, a 'Preview import' screen will appear. Review the changes to be made. If the changes aren't what you want, click the Start over button in the bottom, left-hand corner of the page to stop the import and be redirected back to the bulk import page.
- Click Finish import.
- Depending on the size of your CSV, it may take up to 15 minutes for the import to complete. Once the import is complete, updates will be reflected in 15Five. If desired, you can double-check a few people's account settings to ensure that the CSV was imported without error.