Workday is a cloud-based software vendor that specializes in human capital management (HCM), enterprise resource management (ERP), and financial management applications. 15Five integrates with Workday to make managing your people a seamless experience.
This guide provides the steps required to configure provisioning for 15Five, and includes the following sections:
- Configuration Steps
Automatic Individual Provisioning is supported for the 15Five application.
This enables Workday to:
- Add new individuals to 15Five
- Update select fields in individuals’ profile information in 15Five
- Deactivate individuals in 15Five
The following provisioning features are supported:
- Push New Individuals
- New individuals created through Workday will also be created in 15Five.
- Push Profile Updates
- Updates made to the individual’s profiles through Workday will be pushed to 15Five.
- Push User Deactivation
- Deactivating the individual or disabling the individual’s access to the application through Workday will deactivate the individual in 15Five.
- Import New Individuals
- New individuals created in the third party application will be downloaded and turned into new AppUser objects, for matching against existing Workday individuals.
IN 15FIVE (prerequisite steps)
Before you configure provisioning in Workday, you need to first take some steps in 15Five first.
1. Click on 'Settings' from the left navigation.
2. Then click on 'Features' to expand the feature settings.
3. Last, click on 'Integrations'.
5. Click on the orange 'Enable Workday' button.
6. Access your SFTP credentials under the ‘Setup’ tab.
7. Head on over to Workday and continue with the below steps.
IN WORKDAY (configuration steps)
1. Create an EIB Integration using SFTP:
- Create a Custom Report in Workday and enable it as Web Service (Advanced Tab).
- Add sorting or filtering, i.e. you may want to exclude contractors from the report.
- Create Integration System User (ISU) using the Create Integration System User task in Workday.
- Add the new ISU to an existing integration system security group (ISSG) or create a new one.
- Using the Maintain Password Rules task, add this ISU account to the System Users exempt from password expiration list.
- Update the relevant domain security policies giving the security group access to Get integration permissions.
- Activate pending security policy changes.
- Share the report with authorized users including the ISSG/ISU.
2. Create an EIB (Integration) using "Create EIB Task"
- Choose name -> Select Outbound.
- Under "General Settings" enter a unique ID if you choose, and a description.
- Next, select "Get Data" in the sidebar and choose "Custom Report" as the “Data Source Type” and select Custom Report created in step 1 above.
- Under "Transform" choose "New Custom Report Transformation" for your report type. This will default the name of the custom report to the name you gave the report above + the date it was created.
- Under "Deliver" add the file name, type and document retention policy for the Workday file that will be sent to 15Five via the integration. Create a sequence generator for the filename if desired and restrict the Workday file to specific environments.
- Click "Ok/Done".
3. Ensure Transformation contains proper field names for the 15Five integration.
- Before enabling SFTP integration with 15Five, you may need to update fields in the Workday Transformation.
- From the Integration System name, select the "Actions" button.
- Choose "Enterprise Interface -> Configure Transformation".
- Make any changes necessary, using the field list available to our bulk import tool here: https://my.15five.com/company/users/bulk-import/.
- Note, if you create the transformation and any fields are updated, you will need to delete the transformation and create it again beginning with the fourth bullet in Step 2 above.
4. Create Business Process Definition for the 15Five + Workday integration.
- Under "Business Process Step" click on "Configure Document Delivery".
- Add SFTP connection information from Step 6 under Prerequisites above.
Q: Is the Workday <> 15Five integration bidirectional?
A: Not at this time. The potential is there, however, as Workday does support Inbound EIBs.
Q: Why should I use the Workday integration instead of an IdP or csv?
A: It’s automated (which is better than uploading a .csv). Using the Workday integration removes IT as a bottleneck for provisioning/deprovisioning as well as group updates.
Q: How often does the syncing from Workday to 15Five happen?
A: As often as the user wants. The EIB will process the custom report the Workday admin creates on whatever schedule/frequency is desired. It’s customizable.
Q: Can custom attributes sync via Workday?
A: Not via Workday. However, it is possible to create an API script that automatically updates the attributes via the API.
Q: If the integration acts as a bulk import, will it update/add information for people who already exist in 15Five? As opposed to ignoring the information because the person already exists.
A: Yes. If the people on the sync are already active in 15Five, the system will look for and make any changes to those people.
Q: Will we be able to sync groups and group types from Workday to 15Five?
A: Yes. Groups will sync from Workday. The groups will be synced by group name, just as they are in CSV imports.