There may be times that you want to mention something on your Check-in that you'd prefer to remain between you and your reviewer. Likewise, you may want to leave a comment on someone else's Check-in that's for their eyes only (or the eyes of those above them in the reporting hierarchy). 15Five gives you the ability to control who has visibility into Check-in answers and comments.
In this article you will learn:
- How to mark an answer/comment on your own Check-in as private to yourself and your reviewer
- How to mark a comment on someone else's Check-in as private between you and either the person whose Check-in you're viewing, their manager, or someone above them in the reporting hierarchy.
Make an answer or comment private to yourself and your reviewer
- Answer the Check-in question, or leave your comment.
- Click on the lock icon to the right of the answer/comment to make it private to only you and your reviewer. The lock icon will appear as locked to show that the answer/comment is now private.
- Want to make an answer public again? Simply click the lock icon again and the answer will unlock.
You cannot mark answers as "private" if answers to that question are set up to be pushed to a Slack channel.
Leave a private comment on someone else's Check-in
- Click on Check-ins in the main, left-hand navigation bar.
- Click to open the 'Everyone's Check-ins' tab at the top of the page.
- A list of all individuals whose Check-ins you are able to view will appear. The individuals will be listed in chronological order based on the latest submission dates. Find the person whose Check-in you want to view and leave a private comment on. Click on their name.
- Leave your comment on their Check-in. From here, you can check the box next to "Private comment to..." to make the answer private. You can make the answer private to the person whose Check-in you're viewing, their manager, or anyone above them in the hierarchy.
- Click the Post comment button.
- Both you and the person you marked the comment as private for will see a note clarifying that the comment is private between the two of you.
Visibility of private comments
Can I choose multiple people to see my private comment? No— you can only have one recipient for each private comment.
If I don't make a comment private, who can see it? What is a public comment? If you don't specifically mark a comment as private, that comment will be "public", meaning that anyone who can see the Check-in can see the comment.
Check out these additional resources ⬇️
- Help Center article 💡: How to follow a teammate's Check-ins
- Help Center article 💡: Default visibility for Check-ins