Once a review cycle has been created, a review admin or cycle collaborator can edit participants' individual settings– that is, who is responsible for writing reviews about the participant and who the participant is responsible for writing review about. The ability to customize review authors is extremely beneficial for companies with a reporting structure that isn't hierarchal.
In this article, you will learn how to...
- Access an individual's review settings
- Use the "Who’s writing reviews of [Individual]?" section to change who is responsible for writing a peer, upward, or manager review about a participant
- Use the "Which participant(s) is [Individual] reviewing?" section to change which review cycle participants a person is responsible for reviewing
If you're looking for a more detailed walkthrough on changing individual review settings, check out these additional resources ⬇️
Only review admins and cycle collaborators can update a participant's individual review settings.
Editing an individual's settings only affects the review cycle you're editing settings for. Manager and direct report changes within a cycle will not update anywhere else in 15Five.
Access an individual's review settings
- Click on Best-Self Review® in 15Five's main, left-hand navigation bar.
- Click on the name of the review cycle you want to manage settings in.
- Use filters or the search bar to find the person whose review settings need to be updated. Here, you should search for the name of the individual participant whose review authors you want to edit.
- Click '...' to the right of the individual's name, then select 'Edit individual settings' from the dropdown menu.
- You'll be led to the person's "Review settings" page. On this page you'll see two sections: "Who’s writing reviews of [Individual]?" and "2) Which participant(s) is [Individual] reviewing?"
"Who’s writing reviews of [Individual]?" section
The 'Who’s writing reviews of [Individual]' section on a participant's "Edit Individual Settings" page includes everyone who is responsible for writing a review about that person.
For example, let's say the participant whose individual settings page you're on is Jane Meldrum. The 'Who's writing reviews of Jane Meldrum?' section would include whose responsible for writing a manager review of Jane, who is writing peer reviews of Jane, and who is writing upward reviews of Jane. This is also the section where you can change the participant's cycle-specific additional manager.
The "Self review" selection cannot be edited, as Jane is the only person who can write a self review of herself.
The "Manager review" field can be edited as long as the existing manager has not yet submitted a manager review of the participant. If you edit Jane's assigned manager here, the new manager will then be asked to complete a manager review of Jane. Only one person can be selected here.
A cycle-specific "additional manager" has access to view reviews and results for the participant. The additional manager cannot write a manager review, but they are able to see into the participant's results including private manager assessment answers from the main manager. Anyone in any role can be an additional manager for a participant.
Adding an additional manager in this section will only apply to the specific cycle. For options on how to add an additional manager for all past, current, and future cycles for an individual, you can do so by following the steps in our "Add an additional manager for a participant" Help Center article.
The "Peer reviews" field contains all of Jane's nominated peers, regardless of approval and acceptance status. If the participant hasn't nominated any peers yet, you'll also see the option to Nudge them to nominate peers. Options for editing will vary depending on which step of the process a peer nomination is in.
- If the peer nomination was denied by the manager, you can 'Remove' the nomination.
- If the peer nomination was approved by the manager, and the peer declined the nomination, you have the option to 'Remove' the nomination.
- If the peer nomination was approved by the manager, and the peer hasn't yet responded to the nomination, you can either 'Nudge' the peer to accept or decline the nomination, or remove the nomination.
- If the peer nomination hasn't been approved or denied by the manager, you can either 'Deny' or 'Approve' the peer nomination.
Clicking 'Remove' will delete the nomination and free up space for either the review participant, their manager, or a review admin/cycle collaborator to nominate a new peer in their spot.
The "Upward reviews" field contains all of Jane's direct reports who are tasked with writing an upward review of Jane. If Jane has no direct reports, the list will say 'None'.
You can manually add anyone to this field who you want to write an upward review of Jane.
Which participant(s) is [Individual] reviewing?
The "Which participant(s) is [Individual] reviewing?" section on a person's "Individual Review Settings" page lists out all reviews that an individual is responsible for writing. It is important to note that this list and all dropdown menus will only include review cycle participants.
The "Self review" selection cannot be edited. Again, reason being that Jane is the only person who can write a self review of herself.
The "Manager reviews" field can be edited. The people included here are Jane's direct reports who are review cycle participants- aka who Jane needs to write manager reviews of.
If Jane has no direct reports or if none of Jane's direct reports are participants, the list will say 'None'. Review admin can manually add direct reports that Jane needs to write manager reviews of.
Keep in mind that each participant can only have one manager review written about them. So Jane and another manager could not both write manager reviews for someone.
If the cycle you're editing has participant-initiated reviews, all participants who have nominated Jane as a peer will appear here as read-only, regardless of approval and acceptance status.
It is not possible to add peer reviews in this section. If you'd like to add a peer for Jane to submit a peer review of, you can do so by going to the "Individual Review Settings" page of the person you want them to peer review and add them as an author there. Otherwise, a participant or their manager can nominate them by following the steps in the articles below.
Cycle collaborators can navigate to the participant's settings and edit their peers to remove or add someone. For example, if I am a cycle collaborator and I didn't want Jane to write a peer review for Eugenia, I could edit Eugenia's individual settings and deny or remove Jane as a peer.
If the cycle you're editing has peer-initiated reviews, all people that Jane has chosen to write a peer review of will appear here.
The "Upward review" field can be edited as long as the existing upward review has not already been submitted. This is who Jane is responsible for writing an upward review of. Jane's manager for the review cycle can be updated and Jane will be asked to complete an upward review of that new manager. Only one person can be selected here.
Use the search bar at the top of the page to edit another participant's individual settings page.
- If a review admin or cycle collaborator wants to change Jane's manager in an active cycle, what steps should be taken? Open Jane's individual settings page. Then find the 'Manager review' option under the 'Who is writing reviews of Jane?' section. Update Jane's manager here and the new manager will be asked to write a manager review of Jane. Walahhhh!
- If a review admin or cycle collaborator wants Jane to write an upward review of someone other than her current manager in 15Five, what steps should be taken? Open Jane individual settings page. Then find the 'Upward review' option under the 'Which participant(s) is Jane reviewing?' section. Update the manager that Jane needs to write an upward review of here and Jane will be asked to write an upward review of this new person. Well, I'll be darned.
- Can the manager review be of Jane be completed by manager Margo and then Jane complete her upward review of manager Mitchell? Yes, these two people do not have to be the same.
- I am a cycle collaborator, can I manage peers from this page? Yes, absolutely. You can edit peers for participants using the 'Edit individual settings' page. You can also manage peers for participants from the 'Peer nominations' page.