15Five allows you to link your key result(s) to Jira issues. Linking key results with Jira results in the key results being automatically updated in 15Five as progress is made in Jira; ultimately, saving you time! Once the Jira integration is enabled for your company, there will be a 'Link to' option when creating an objective (see below) or adding key results to an existing objective.
Key results should be concrete, specific, and measurable. They should describe how you will accomplish the objective and measure whether you are on track, behind, or at risk of achieving that objective.
Success Center article 🗒: Use cases for Jira Cloud integration
To link a key result to Jira
1. Find the objective that needs a Jira key result added to it OR create a new objective with linked key results from scratch.
If you are going to edit an existing objective and key result(s), find it and make your way to editing that objective. Once you are editing the desired objective, follow the steps below.
If you are creating a new objective and key result(s), go to your Objectives tab and click 'Create a new objective'. Fill out the fields for your new objective.
2. When you are filling out or editing your key results, you will see a 'Link to' option at the bottom right of your key result field. Click the drop-down and select 'Jira Cloud'.
3. After clicking 'Jira Cloud', a window will pop up on the right. From there, search for the Jira Cloud issue/epic/story/etc that should become the key result and click on it.
4. Select whether you would like the issues to be continually linked.
'Continuously link issues that match search' checkbox- As issues are added or removed from the query, they will be automatically reflected in this key result.
5. Next, decide how you would like the key result to be measured.
How will you measure this key result?- options are 'Issue progress' or 'Total number of issues'
- If 'Issue progress' is the selected, another option will appear.
- Update key result when issues are in which status?- allows the user to decide at what point the key result should be "complete". These statuses are based on the stages that exist in your company's Jira Cloud account.
- If 'Total number of issues' is selected, your key result's starting value will be based on the number of issues that match the search.
6. Link the Jira issue(s) and let 15Five + Jira do the rest.
I linked my key results to Jira... What happens now?
As updates are made in Jira, 15Five will also update. 15Five syncs updates hourly, but manual syncs can also be forced by an account admin from the Jira Integration page in 15Five.
Key result progress is based on 'How will you measure this key result?"
If 'Issue progress' was selected, 15Five will automatically (at the top of each hour) fill in the current value for the key result, based on how many issues match the status chosen.
If 'Total number of issues' was selected, 15Five will automatically (at the top of each hour) fill in the current value for the key result based on how many Jira issues match the search.
- For example: If the search yields 7 results, the starting value is auto-filled to 7 and the target value can be edited to be any number. Maybe the goal is just to reduce the number of issues to 3. Then the target value could be set to 3.
- Additionally, if 'Continuously link issues that match search' is checked: As Jira issues are added or removed from the search that is linked, the current key result value will update. So if week three rolls around and there are now 8 issues that match the search, the current value will show 8.
Editing key results after initial linking
Objectives and key results can be edited anytime after creation. When editing a key result that is linked to Jira, there are two options: 'Unlink issues' or 'Edit'.
Existing objectives can be edited to include new, linked key results. Simply edit the objective and create a new, linked key result by clicking 'Add another key result'. Of course, delete any prior key results that are now covered/duplicated.
Converting a key result to a child objective
If the objective owner or key result owner tries to convert a linked key result to a child objective, the below alert will appear. You can still convert- the alert is simply a warning.
- To set up the integration, does the user need to be both a 15Five account admin and a Jira admin?
- Can we limit the integration to only be on for certain groups?
- It is all or nothing. Whether people use it or not is their choice.
- Can I update my key result's current value manually through 15Five? Or can I update my current value in 15Five and have it update Jira?
- When a key result is linked to a Jira issue, all updates/progress/current value must be made in Jira. *Think user talking to Jira and Jira talking to 15Five.*
- Can I edit a key result that is linked to Jira?
- When a user selects the edit button, an alert will appear. The alert says, "Any changes made may affect current key result values."
- What happens to the Jira link when a key result is converted to a child objective?
- Link will be removed when a KR is converted to a child objective. A warning modal will appear before the user converts.
- When does 15Five sync with Jira cloud?
- Every hour at the top of the hour. There is also an option to manually sync on the Jira Cloud Integration page.
- What does "Max number of tickets returned" mean?
- The error is displayed when your JQL when your search returns greater than 200 results. We ask the person to narrow down their search. If this becomes too big of an issue, we can revisit the limit.