Additional managers are people besides a review cycle participant's direct manager that have the ability to write a manager review about them. Additional manager feedback is also included in calibration sessions, and may be included in performance ratings formulas, depending on Best-Self Review® feature settings. Default additional managers can also be granted visibility into all past reviews of the person they're an additional manager for in Best-Self Review® feature settings. Additional managers cannot share or finalize review results or manage peer nominations for a review cycle participant.
In this article, you will learn...
- Types of additional managers
- How to tell that you're an additional manager
- How to write or edit an additional manager review
Types of additional managers
There are two types of additional managers: cycle-specific and default.
- Cycle-specific additional managers are assigned to a review cycle participant in their individual settings for that review cycle. There can be up to five (5) cycle-specific additional managers assigned to a person.
- A person's default additional manager is automatically assigned as a cycle-specific additional manager in all review cycles that person is a participant in. In addition to having the ability to write manager reviews, default additional managers can also be granted visibility into all past review cycles for the person they're an additional manager for in Best-Self Review® feature settings.
Related article 📖: Add an additional manager for a participant
How do I know if I'm an additional manager?
Once you're added as an additional manager, you will receive both an in-app and email notification.
- If you were added as a default additional manager, the text of the notification will read, "You are now an additional manager for [Name]'s future review cycles."
- If you were added as a cycle-specific additional manager, the text of the notification will read "You are now an additional manager for [Name] for their “[Review cycle name]” cycle."
Write or edit an additional manager review
- Click on Best-Self Review® in 15Five's main, left-hand navigation bar.
- Click on the name of the active review cycle you want to write an additional manager review in to open the review cycle.
- You are now on the review cycle's 'Overview' tab. From here, click to open the 'Write reviews' tab in the top navigation bar.
- In the 'Reviews' bar on the left-hand side of your screen, click on the name of the person you want to write a review about (under 'Additional manager reviews').
- Write your additional manager review. As you're writing your review, there are a couple of resources you may want to utilize:
- Resources for reviews: The 'Resources for reviews' section allows you to view High Fives, Wins & challenges, Objectives, Past Check-ins, and Past reviews for the person you're reviewing. To open resources, click on View resources in the bottom of 'Review details' box. Resources will appear on the right-hand side of your screen. Click the dropdown menu to navigate between resources.
- Submitted reviews: You can also refer to any reviews that have already been submitted about the person you're an additional manager for in the current review cycle. To do so, scroll to the top of the review and navigate between the review tabs.
- You can draft your review and return to it at any point— your changes will save automatically. Once you're done, click Submit at the bottom of the review.
- To edit a submitted additional manager review, simply navigate back to the review. At the top of the review next to the participant's avatar, you'll see an Edit review button, which you can click to reopen the review for editing. If you don't see the option to edit the review, please refer to the troubleshooting steps in our "Write or edit a review" Help Center article.