This article walks through how to create a manager effectiveness engagement survey. Manager effectiveness surveys are one factor that can be included in the "Manager Effectiveness Assessment" section of your organization's Manager Effectiveness Indicator.
In this article, you will learn...
- What is a manager effectiveness engagement survey?
- What survey statements are included in a manager effectiveness survey
- How to create a manager effectiveness engagement survey
- How to customize your survey
Access and availability
⛔️ Required access to Engage.
👥 This article is relevant to Engagement admins, Organization admins.
📦 This feature is available in the Total Platform pricing package.
What's a manager effectiveness engagement survey?
Manager effectiveness engagement surveys allow you to formally evaluate Manager Effectiveness within your organization based on 15Five's manager competencies. This survey gathers anonymous perspectives from employees about their direct manager. This assessment can be pulled into Manager Effectiveness Indicator configuration.
The manager effectiveness survey results are part of the Manager Effectiveness Indicator (MEI) on the Outcomes Dashboard. Results also show in aggregate responses by question in Engage. By default, employees have one (1) week to complete the survey. Data can be collected through a stand-alone manager effectiveness engagement survey, or added to a larger engagement campaign.
There are eight manager effectiveness survey statements that can be included in an engagement survey. These questions cannot be altered, as they're used for benchmarking. Participants are asked to reflect on the following statements on a five-point likert scale from strongly disagree to strongly agree:
- I understand what is expected of me at work.
- My immediate manager contributes to my productivity.
- My immediate manager frequently provides feedback that helps me improve my performance.
- My immediate manager effectively directs our people and resources toward our most important priorities.
- My immediate manager positively influences others and our culture.
- My immediate manager effectively balances doing work, delegating work, coaching, and influencing others.
- My immediate manager actively supports my career growth and development.
- My immediate manager values my opinions.
Create a manager effectiveness engagement survey
- Click Engagement in 15Five's main, left-hand navigation to be directed to the Engage Portal.
- You're now on the Campaigns List. From here, click the Manager Effectiveness button t the top of the page.
- A popup will appear that allows you to select survey settings. Select a survey launch date.
- [Optional] If you'd like to customize your survey, click Customize Survey. This process is covered in detail in the next section of this article.
- Click Schedule Now.
- You'll be taken to the Campaign Details page to confirm your survey settings. If you need to make any changes, click Unconfirm.
Customize your survey
During the process of creating your manager effectiveness engagement survey, you have the option to customize it. This section walks through customization options.
- Customize your survey by clicking the Customize Survey button and you'll be taken to the Campaign Details page to customize your survey
- The first section of the Campaign Details page is "Campaign Details". In this section, you can customize basic details about the campaign.
Select a campaign name. If desired, select a different name for your campaign.
Select campaign participants. Here, you can also customize which employees you want to include in this campaign. By default, all users in the Engage system are included in the manager effectiveness survey. Here, you can limit the survey to specific groups and/or exclude employees.
Decide whether or not you want the campaign to repeat. Finally, you can select whether or not you'd like the campaign to repeat. By default, surveys are set to repeat every 90 days, but you can update the preferred cadence for the organization by going to Settings > Assessment Settings. Here, you can choose not to repeat the survey, or change how often you want it to repeat.
If you choose to repeat a campaign, Engagement Admins and Organization Admins will get a reminder about the scheduled assessment thirty days before the start date. You can use the auto-scheduled date, or reschedule to a date that works best for your organization.
- The next section of the Campaign Details page is "Surveys." Here, you can customize which surveys you want to include in your engagement campaign and other campaign settings.
Add surveys to your campaign. Add a survey by using the 'Select a survey' dropdown menu and clicking Add.
Added surveys will appear in the list at the bottom of the 'Surveys' section. From here, you can use the six dots to the right of a survey name to drag and drop surveys in the order you'd like them to appear to participants.
Preview what your campaign will look like. To preview what the engagement campaign will look like to participants, click Preview Survey in the top, right-hand corner of the survey list.
Select a feedback filter. In this section, you can select a feedback filter. To protect the confidentiality of survey participants, open-ended question answers collected from any survey in a campaign can be filtered by one group type. Use this section to select the group type you would like to view comments by.
- The last section of the Campaign Details page is "Campaign schedule and reminders".In this section, you can customize milestones and notifications.
Select a start and end date/time. Use the date/time fields to customize when the campaign will be sent to participants and when responses will be cut-off.
Customize notification type. Next, select how you want notifications to be sent to participants. Options are email, SMS, email and SMS, or none.
Customize when notifications are sent out. Here, you can customize the date and time that notifications will go out to participants. When you set the start date for your campaign, we will automatically add dates and times for the 5 notifications, which employees will get at the scheduled time. This is the default and recommended cadence, and organizations using this cadence average an 82% response rate. Only non-respondents will receive reminders.
Confirm the campaign. Once you're satisfied with your settings, click Confirm at the bottom of the page.
A popup will appear that contains your selected settings. When you're reading, click Confirm Campaign.
Make changes before launch. If you need to make any changes before the campaign launches on the start date, click Unconfirm.
- The campaign will be sent to participants on your selected start date/time.