You must be both a 15Five account admin and a Slack administrator to set up and manage the 15Five <> Slack integration.
This article walks through how to set up the 15Five <> Slack integration, as well as integration capabilities.
In this article, you will learn...
- Integration capabilities
- How to enable the 15Five <> Slack integration
- How to customize options for sharing data from 15Five to Slack
- Additional resources
For a person in your company to benefit from the 15Five <> Slack integration, they must have both a 15Five account and a Slack account, and use the same email address for both.
When you integrate your company's 15Five instance with Slack, you can do the following:
- Automatically send a notification to a designated Slack channel each time someone in your organization submits a Check-in
- Allow your staff to manually share Check-in answers to a designated channel in Slack (if the answer has an attachment, the attachment will not push to Slack)
- Allow your staff to manually share Check-in priorities to a designated channel in Slack
- Create a Check-in question so that all answers will get pushed into a designated Slack channel as answers are submitted
- Push all High Fives to a designated Slack channel
- Push High Fives given to members in a specific group to a designated Slack channel
Once an account admin has set up the Slack integration, anyone in your company that has both a 15Five and a Slack account can add the 15Five app to their Slack account. This allows them to perform the following actions directly from Slack:
- Receive 15Five notifications in Slack
- Give a High Five using /highfive command
- Comment on or like a Check-in comment, priority, or high five
- Add a priority to their current Check-in
- Mark a priority as complete
- Copy a priority to their next Check-in
- Edit or remove a priority
- End a 1-on-1
- Add a Slack message to an upcoming or scheduled 1-on-1 as a talking point
- Request feedback using /request-feedback command
- Respond to a feedback request
Enable the Slack integration
- Click on the Settings gear in the top, right-hand corner of your 15Five account.
- Select 'Features' (in-app link) from the dropdown menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click to open the 'Integrations' (in-app link) section.
- Click Enable next to Slack.
- Click the Add to Slack button to authorize the Slack team you wish to integrate with 15Five.
- Log into your Slack workspace, then click Continue.
- Confirm that it is acceptable for Slack and 15Five to communicate as listed, then click Allow. You can read more about what authorizations are granted to 15Five when enabling the integration in the Slack App Directory.
- The integration is now set up. You will be redirected to the Slack integration settings page.
You may see an alert saying, "Slack has not reviewed this app and does not endorse or certify it. The permissions this app requests have not been reviewed by Slack." This means that our app hasn’t been reviewed by Slack, so we aren’t in their formal App Directory. However, we do comply with Slack's Terms of Service, which is necessary to integrate with them.
Customize options for sharing data from 15Five > Slack
After you've enabled the integration, you can customize what data you want to be shared from 15Five to Slack.
Add the 15Five bot to Slack channels
Only people who are both a 15Five account admin AND a Slack workspace admin can add the 15Five bot to channels. You can only add the 15Five bot to a private channel if you’re the workspace admin of that channel.
15Five can access both shared and private Slack channels, but you must add the 15Five bot to any Slack channel you want to push data to.
- Shared: By default, the 15Five app can access all shared channels. Once the bot has been invited to your Slack instance, just @mention the 15Five bot using @15five_bot.
- Private: To use private channels you have to specifically invite the 15Five bot (@15five_bot) to that channel.
Set up data to push from 15Five to Slack
There are three tabs in Slack integration settings: Setup, Sharing Settings, and Questions shared to Slack. Continue reading for information about what options are available in each tab.
'Setup' tab (open in 15Five)
- Default Slack Channel or Group: The Slack channel you type into that field is your default Slack channel, meaning that if you don't designate a specific channel in any of your sharing settings, content will push to this default channel.
- Disable the integration: Clicking this button will disable the Slack integration. You can re-enable it at any time and your preferences will be recovered.
'Sharing Settings' tab (open in 15Five)
- Submitted Check-ins: Automatically send a notification to a designated Slack channel each time someone in your organization submits a Check-in
- Check-in Answers: Allow people in your organization to manually share their Check-in answers to a designated Slack channel.
- Priorities: Allow people in your organization to manually share their Priorities to a designated Slack channel.
- All High Fives: Automatically share all public High Fives to a designated Slack channel. This is a great option if you want to create a Slack channel to celebrate appreciation!
- Group-specific High Fives: Automatically share public High Fives given to members of a specific group to a designated Slack channel.
'Questions shared to Slack' tab (open in 15Five)
This tab includes all Check-in questions that were set up to push answers to Slack. To create a Check-in question whose answers will push to Slack, follow the steps below.
- Click on the Settings menu at the upper right corner of your 15Five account.
- Select 'Check-in questions' from the dropdown menu.
- Click on the Create a new question button.
- Check the box next to 'Share answers on Slack' and specify which public channel you want the submitted answers to be shared to. If you don't specify a channel here, submitted answers will be shared to the default Slack channel specified on the Slack integration 'Setup' tab.
- My company uses multiple Slack instances. Can I integrate them all with our 15Five account? No— you can only integrate one instance of Slack with a company in 15Five.
- What permissions do I need to set up and manage the Slack integration? You must be both a 15Five account admin and a Slack administrator to set up and manage settings for the 15Five <> Slack integration and add the 15Five bot to channels. You can only add the 15Five bot to a private channel if you’re the workspace admin of that channel.
- If I share a Check-in answer that has an attachment to Slack, will the attachment show up in Slack? No— only the text answer will push to Slack. Anyone with permission to view the answer can click the hyperlink to open the answer, with the attachment, in Slack.