Peer reviews within a Best-Self Review® cycle are reviews in which your nominated teammates review you. This article contains an overview of the the peer nomination process, steps on how to nominate someone to review you, and steps on how to remove a peer you nominated.
If you have been nominated as a peer for someone else and are looking for steps on how to accept or decline those nominations, check out our "Accept or decline peer nominations" Help Center article.
Research shows that using peer feedback for development increases performance, goal orientation, and a growth mindset. This differs from traditional performance appraisals, in which it’s common for managers to evaluate their direct reports only.
Peer nomination process overview
- You will nominate peers to review YOU. Your manager or a cycle collaborator can also nominate peers on your behalf.
- Peers can be nominated up until the review cycle's end date, or until your review results have been finalized- whichever comes first.
- After you nominate a peer(s), your manager or a cycle collaborator will see the peers you nominated and will either approve or deny the nominations.
- Approved peers will be sent a notification asking them to either accept or decline the nomination. Peers who accept the nomination will then write a peer review about you.
- If any of your peer nominations are denied by either your manager, a cycle collaborator, or the peer themselves, you can remove that nomination so you're able to nominate another peer in their place.
Help Center article 💡: Roles in a Best-Self Review® cycle
Nominate peers to review me
1. Click on Best-Self Review® in the left-hand navigation bar.
2. Open the review cycle you want to nominate peer reviewers for.
3. Click on the 'Peer nominations' tab at the top of your page.
4. If you're not a manager in the review cycle, continue directly to step #5.
If you are manager, you will land on the 'My team' page, on which you can nominate people to review your direct reports. To manage your own peers, click on 'My nominations' under the name of the review cycle.
5. Click into the 'Peers for your review' field and start typing the name of the person who you'd like to nominate as a peer. Select their name from the dropdown menu.
Who can/can't I nominate as a peer? You can nominate anyone- whether or not they're a participant in the review cycle- to be a peer, with some exceptions. Anyone you don't have the ability to nominate as a peer won't appear on the dropdown menu. You cannot nominate anyone who is excluded from a review cycle or globally excluded from reviews in general to be a peer. If the review cycle includes only peer reviews, you can nominate anyone to be a peer. If the cycle includes self & manager reviews, you can nominate anyone except your direct report(s) or your immediate manager as a peer.
6. Select all the peers you want to nominate, then click Submit.
7. Before the peer nomination deadline approaches, you should visit the 'Peer nominations' tab to check the status of the nominations you sent and ensure people are taking action. In the example below, Natalie and Carmen have both been approved and accepted their peer nominations. Peter has been approved but hasn't yet accepted, and Salome hasn't yet been approved.
Remove a peer nomination
- Click on Best-Self Review® in the left-hand navigation bar.
- Open the review cycle you want to nominate peer reviewers for.
- Click on the 'Peer nominations' tab at the top of your page.
- If you're a manager in the review cycle, you'll be directed to the 'Manage peers for your team' page. To manage peers for yourself, click on the 'My nominations' tab.
If you are not a manager, you will automatically land in the 'My nominations' tab.
- You will see a list of all nominated peers. To remove a nomination, click the Remove button next to it.
You will only see the option to remove peer nominations that are pending (i.e. they haven't yet been accepted or declined by the nominated peer) or that are declined (i.e. either your manager or the peer themselves declined the nomination). If, for whatever reason, you'd like a peer nomination that has already been approved by your manager and accepted by the peer, please reach out to your manager. Managers have the ability to remove accepted peer nominations by following the steps in this article.