Peer reviews are where co-workers (that you select) will be asked questions about your development, strengths and progress. Research shows that using peer feedback for development increases performance, goal orientation, and the growth mindset. This differs from traditional performance appraisals where it’s common for superiors to evaluate their subordinates only.
It is important to note that if the 'peer initiated' peer review option was selected by your review administrator(s), you will not be asked to nominate peers, but will instead be able to write a peer review of any other participant(s) of your choosing. For more information on the peer initiated peer review process, see this article.
Peer nomination process overview
- You will nominate peers to review YOU. Your manager or a cycle collaborator can also nominate peers on your behalf during this window.
- Peers can be nominated up until the cycle end date or until your review has been finalized- whichever comes first.
- After you nominate a peer(s), your manager or a cycle collaborator will see the peers you nominated and will either approve or deny the nominations.
- Once your manager or a cycle collaborator approves or denies your nominations, the peer you nominated will be asked to accept or decline the nomination.
- Before the peer nomination deadline approaches, you should visit your 'Peer nominations' tab to check the status of the nominations you sent.
1. Click on 'Features' from the left navigation.
2. Click on 'Best-Self Review'.
3. Click on the name of the cycle you need to work on. It will be under the 'Active review cycles' section.
4. Click on the 'Peer nominations' tab at the top of your page.
5. And then click on (or ensure you are on) the 'My nominations' tab.
You can also get to your peer nominations from the 'Overview' page, by clicking the button labeled 'Manage peers' under your to-dos.
6. Using the 'Peers for your review' dropdown menu, select at least 1 peer to nominate. If the review cycle includes only peer reviews, you can nominate anyone to be a peer. If the cycle includes self & manager reviews, you cannot nominate your direct report(s) or your immediate manager as a peer. You also cannot nominate anyone that is excluded from the cycle or from reviews in general.
7. Select your peer(s).
8. Click 'Submit' to send the nominations for approval. Your manager or a cycle collaborator will approve/deny the nominations.
9. Now, you wait for your nomination(s) to be approved/denied. And then wait for your peer(s) to accept/decline the nomination(s).
10. In the meantime, you can check on a nomination's status using this same 'My nominations' page. in the below example, John and Eugenia have already been approved by Jane's manager and need to accept/decline the nomination.
You can remove one of your peer nominations up until your manager or a cycle collaborator approves it. Removing a nomination frees up space for you to nominate someone else if needed.