A participant's manager in a review cycles oversees their review experience: the manager is responsible for writing a manager review about them, sharing and finalizing review results with them, and holding a final meeting with them. Managers can also see all reviews submitted about the participant and run reports on their data.
By default, a person's direct manager (set in account settings) is appointed as their manager in any review cycle they're a participant in. However, it's possible to appoint a different person to serve as a participant's review cycle manager. Changing a person's manager in a review cycle does not impact any other features or settings in 15Five— it is for the review cycle only.
In this article, you will learn...
Check out these additional resources ⬇️
- Help Center article 💡: Update managers during an active review cycle — Walks through how to update review cycle participants' direct managers (in account settings) during an active review cycle, and implications of doing so.
- Help Center article 💡: Add a review viewer for a participant — Walks through how to grant read-only visibility into a person's review cycle results to people that don't have visibility by default.
Only review admins and cycle collaborators can change a participant's manager in a review cycle.
Change a person's manager in a review cycle
Review admins and cycle collaborators can change a person's manager in a review cycle by following the steps below.
- Click on Best-Self Review® in 15Five's main, lefthand navigation.
- Click on the name of the review cycle you want to edit a participant's manager in.
- You are now on the review cycle's overview page. From here, search for the review cycle participant whose manager you want to edit.
- Use the '...' option to the right of the participant who needs to be updated and click 'Edit individual settings'.
- You are now on the review cycle participant's 'Edit Individual Settings' (EIS) page. From here, click Edit next to the 'Manager review'.
If the 'Edit' option does not exist, it is because the existing manager has already submitted a manager review of this participant. Please reach out to 15Five's Support Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to remove the submitted manager review and appoint a new manager.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the new manager who will be responsible for writing the participant's manager review. You cannot select a person as the new manager if they're the participant's direct report, if they've already been nominated as a peer reviewer for the participant, or if they are globally excluded from review cycles. After selecting the new manager for this cycle, click Save.
- If the previous manager had already begun drafting a manager review prior to this change, you will see a pop-up notifying you that changing the participant's manager will delete that draft. Please note that changing managers after a draft has been created will remove the draft and create an entirely new manager review for the updated manager. If you are okay with removing the previous manager's draft manager review, click Yes, save this new setting.
- You're all set! The new manager will now be asked to complete a manager review of this participant.
If upward reviews are also included in the review cycle: after you appoint a new review cycle manager for a participant, you may also want to appoint them to write an upward review about their new manager (if the manager is also a review cycle participant). Please refer to our "Change upward review authors for a review cycle participant" Help Center article for steps on how to do so.