Check-in questions are fully customizable and can be asked to the whole company, a group, or specific people. Continue reading for details on how to create questions and information about types of questions that are available, frequencies for questions, and more.
Permissions for creating questions are as follows: account administrators can create questions for anyone, group admins can create questions for group members, and reviewers can create questions for their direct reports. It is not possible for an individual to create a question for themselves.
Create a new question
1. Click on the "Settings" menu in the top right corner of 15Five.
2. Select "Check-in questions" from the dropdown.
3. Click on the Create a new question button at the top right of your screen.
4. Select your question audience. You can choose from three options: Company-wide, Group, or Person. See the "Who is this question for?" section of this article below for more information about these options.
If you're adding a question for a group or an individual, select the name of the group or individual you'd like to program the question for from the dropdown.
5. Select a question type. You can choose from five options: Text, Yes/No, Numerical, Rating scale, or Question bank. See the "Select a question type" section of this article below for more information about these options.
Add in your question. Feel free to include relevant notes, instructions, URLs, etc. in the field for the question-answerer to reference.
If needed, add a description to the question. The description will appear under the question on your reporters' check-ins.
Check out the preview box on the right to see how the question will look for your reporters.
6. Select how often you'd like the question to be asked: either on every Check-in, one-time-only, or on a recurring frequency. See the "How often is this question asked?" section of this article below for more information about these options.
7. You can choose to make the question optional, allow multiple answers, or even post it to Slack. See the "Settings" section of this article below for more information about these options.
8. Click Create new question.
We suggest asking no more than 5 questions on a person's Check-in to keep it lightweight. Keep this in mind when adding additional company-wide, group, and individual questions.
Who is this question for?
- Company-wide: These questions are asked to all reporters. Only account administrators can add company-wide questions.
- Group: These questions are asked to the members of designated groups. Account administrators, reviewers, and group administrators can ask group questions.
- Person: These questions are asked to specific people. Account administrators and reviewers can ask person-specific questions.
Select a question type
- Text: These are regular plain text questions with no formatting.
- *Yes/No: These questions are for simple Yes/No responses.
- *Numerical: Metric questions are quantitative questions.
- *Rating scale: Rating scale questions allow you to ask questions where the answer format is a range of options.
- Question bank: Selecting this option will redirect you to our Question bank, a list of questions handpicked by the experts at 15Five to help you generate innovative solutions, uncover hidden roadblocks, build a great culture, and more. Read more about the Question bank in this article.
*Metric questions (Yes/No, Numerical, Rating scale) are only available on 15Five Plus and Enterprise. Read more about plan features here.
Report on questions
'Text' and 'Question bank' questions can be reported on using the Questions dashboard after answers have been submitted.
How often is this question asked?
- If you select Show in every Check-in, the question will appear on all Check-ins for every reporting period, regardless of their frequency.
- If you select This is a one-time question, you will see the option to add the question for the current reporting period or the following reporting period. Please note: if you add a question for the current reporting period, it will not appear on Check-ins that have already been submitted.
- If you select Schedule this question, additional options will expand asking you how often you want the question to appear. Options include Weekly, Bi-weekly, Monthly, and Quarterly:
Keep in mind your reporters' Check-in frequencies when you schedule questions. If everyone has different frequencies, it may be difficult to schedule questions on a bi-weekly or quarterly cadence for example.
- If you check the Required question box, people will be required to answer this question before they can submit their Check-in.
- If you check the Allow multiple written answers box, people will be able to give more than one answer to the question. This is only relevant for text questions.
- If you check the Include an optional written answer box, people will be able to submit a written (qualitative) answer in addition to their yes/no, numerical, or rating scale answer.
- If you check the Share answers on Slack box, you will be prompted to provide the name of the Slack channel you want to push answers given for this question to. All answers given to this question will post to that Slack channel. Read more about our Slack integration here.
- If you check the Show question context box, reporters will see additional context pertaining to the question on their check-in. The context that will be shown: Who asked the question? Who is the audience? What is the cadence of the question. This context will enable reporters to understand where the question is coming from, and ultimately should encourage them to give more thoughtful and thorough answers.
Check out these additional resources:
Success Center article 🧠: Get inspired with our Question bank
Video 🎥: Question Management Strategy: 101
Success Center article 🧠: Question types and examples