Once the self and manager reviews have been completed, the summary portion of the review will open up. Although the summary opens after self and manager are submitted, there may still be peer and/or upward reviews in progress. Best practice is to give everyone time to submit their reviews before sharing the summary. If there are outstanding peer or upward reviews, we suggest nudging those writers and not sharing/finalizing until all reviews have been submitted.
The summary is a condensed version of all reviews that were conducted on the employee at hand. We do suggest that managers use the information on all reviews to guide their summary and final meeting. In other words, use the reviews as resources for the summary. Summaries are due by the 'Share reviews' deadline.
While the results of a cycle can be shared prior to the final meeting, 15Five strongly suggests that the final meeting take place before finalizing the results of the review cycle.
Ideal order of events
- All reviews are submitted.
- You (the manager) complete the initial summary for your direct report, including notes and the "Private Manager Assessment" portion of your manager review.
- You (the manager) share submitted reviews and your notes with your employee using the 'Share review' option. This option will share the reviews with your direct report and will lock the self, peer, and manager reviews from being edited, but will still allow editing of the private manager assessment and summary.
We do not recommend clicking 'Share and finalize results' before the final meeting. The reason being, if results are shared and finalized before the meeting, the summary and private manager assessment will no longer be editable. It's helpful to meet with your direct report before finalizing those sections of the review.
- If you are an additional manager for a participant, you will be able to view the summary when it is shared. Anyone that you are an additional manager for will appear under the 'My team' filter on the cycle overview page. Use the same steps as below to view submitted summaries.
The private manager assessment is never visible to the employee; even when results are shared and/or finalized.
- Hold the final meeting. This meeting should address the content of all reviews. Add on to or revise the summary itself, your notes, and your private manager assessment (if necessary).
- Once you've made all desired edits to the summary, notes, and private manager assessment, finalize the results with your direct reports. After 'Finalize results' has been clicked, editing will no longer be allowed for any reviews.
Complete, share, and finalize the results for your team
1. Click on 'Features' from the left navigation.
2. Click on 'Best-Self Review'.
3. Click on the active cycle that applies.
4. From the 'Overview' tab, you will see a menu with options 'Me', 'My team', 'My hierarchy', and 'Whole company'. Depending on your role and the visibility settings for the cycle, you may not see 'My hierarchy' and 'Whole company'.
5. Click the 'My team' option.
6. Scroll down to 'Review progress' for your team, click the '...' next to the employee whose peer reviews you want to view, and then click 'View'.
7. The last tab will be titled 'Summary'. Complete this summary using the previously submitted reviews of the employee. The Summary tab will show a lock icon until the self and manager reviews have been completed for the participant.
8. After entering your initial thoughts in the summary form, 15Five suggests using 'Share review' to release the information to the employee. This step will ideally take place before the final meeting is held.
9. Next, it's time to hold the final meeting with your direct report(s). The two of you can go over the review information that has already been shared. After this meeting takes place, managers can edit the summary, add additional information to the summary, and revise any notes on the summary.
10. When the summary is ready to be finalized, click on 'Finalize results'.
Click 'Share review' to give the employee access to all answers from their reviews. Notes, the summary answers, and the private manager assessment will remain editable. Click 'Share results and finalize review' to share all answers, notes, summaries, and finalize the review; finalize= share and make uneditable. This action can’t be undone.