Upward reviews are reviews written of a manager/reviewer by their direct report(s). If you are a manager yourself, and your direct report(s) are also managers, this article applies to you. Keep reading for a walk through of next steps after an upward review has been submitted for one of your direct reports.
Upward review process overview
- You will only be responsible for reviewing submitted upward reviews of your direct report if your direct report is a manager.
- Upward reviews are optional for review cycles.
- Upward reviews will only be completed about your direct reports if they are also participants in the cycle.
- If you are the manager of someone who is also a manager, you will receive the upward reviews that your direct report's direct reports have submitted. Once an upward review has been submitted, you will receive a notification. These are upward reviews that have been written for your direct report(s).
- After submission/notification, you can open the upward review. As a manager, you do have the ability to remove feedback that is not constructive on these upward reviews (if the setting is enabled for the review cycle).
- Depending on the review settings, the identity of the upward review author may be hidden from you.
- Upward reviews will be shared with your direct report when you 'Share results'. This usually is the very last step in the review cycle. You will not be able to edit/remove feedback from the upward review once results have been shared.
View upward reviews for your team
1. Click on 'Features' from the left navigation.
2. Click on 'Best-Self Review'.
3. Click on the active cycle that applies.
4. From the 'Overview' tab, you will see a menu with options 'Me', 'My team', 'My hierarchy', and 'Whole company'. Depending on your role and the visibility settings for the cycle, you may not see 'My hierarchy' and 'Whole company'.
5. Click the 'My team' option.
6. Scroll down to 'Review progress' for your team, click the '...' next to the employee whose peer reviews you want to view, and then click 'View'.
7. There will be an 'Upward' tab after the 'Self' or 'Manager' tab- depending on your cycle settings and the person whose reviews you are looking at.
If you have a large number of employees, you can also search for a specific employee in the search field and then complete steps 5-6.