15Five's "Smart Groups" feature creates manager-specific groups that automatically update as direct reports are moved between managers. By enabling Smart Groups, you can reduce the burden of manual group management and ensure that teams are always up-to-date.
In this article, we will walk you through the benefits of Smart Groups for both account admins and direct managers and provide step-by-step instructions on how to enable and customize this feature within your 15Five account. Discover a new level of efficiency and engagement with Smart Groups in 15Five!
Access and availability
⛔️ Required access to Check-ins and Feature settings.
👥 This article is relevant to account admins.
📦 This feature is available in the Perform, Focus, and Total Platform pricing packages.
Why use Smart Groups?
Benefits for admins
Enabling Smart Groups decreases the manual work of managing team-specific groups in a company by automating the process. As teams change, these groups will automatically update— so admins don't have to worry about assigning someone to or un-assigning them from a team-specific group.
Benefits for direct managers
Smart Groups allow direct managers to easily pull information on, change settings for, and manage Check-in questions for their direct reports. When Smart Groups are enabled all direct managers in 15Five will have a group that contains their direct reports. That means that they can...
- Filter by their own Smart Group to pull reports that are specific to their teams
- Ask Smart Group-specific questions to their direct reports
- Filter the High Five feed to show only high fives given by or received by their direct reports
- Edit group settings (including Check-in frequency and Check-in visibility settings) for all their direct reports at once
Enable Smart Groups
- Click on the Settings gear in the top, right-hand corner of 15Five.
- Select 'Features' from the dropdown menu.
- Click on 'Feature overview'.
- In the 'Check-in' section, scroll down to 'Smart Groups' and toggle the button to "On".
Configure Smart Group settings
- Click 'Configure' to the right of 'Smart Groups'.
- You're now on the 'Configure Smart Groups' page. Click the arrow to the right of a setting to expand and configure options. Remember to click Save after changing settings.
The following settings can be managed on this page:
This setting allows account admins to see and manage Smart Groups from the 'Manage groups' page, like they can with other groups. We suggest toggling this feature on so account admins have visibility into group settings, Check-in questions, etc.
The naming convention for Smart Groups is [First and Last Name]'s Team. These names are automatically generated and, like group membership, cannot be changed.
Smart Groups appear as their own group type on the 'Manage groups' page. Managers can see their own smart groups. Account admins can see all smart groups if the "Show all Smart Groups to admins" setting is enabled in Smart Group Configuration settings.
Direct managers can edit Check-in settings for the people in their Smart Group by opening the group page and clicking Edit smart group in the top, right-hand corner of the page. Account admins can also manage these settings if the "Show all Smart Groups to admins" setting is enabled in Smart Group Configuration settings.
If @mentioning for Smart Groups is enabled, members can high five their Smart Group by typing their manager's name followed by "team."