Adding people to 15Five is quick and easy with just a few simple steps. In this article, you'll learn about the three methods you have to add new people to 15Five: either one-off, in bulk via CSV import, or via an integration. By default, account admins and managers can invite new people to 15Five. Account admins can limit this ability in company settings (in-app link).
Access and availability
Are you more of a visual learner? Check out this video ⬇️
Add a new person to 15Five
- Click the 'Settings' gear in the top, right-hand corner of 15Five.
- Select 'Add a person' (in-app link) from the dropdown menu.
If your company is integrated with a user management software, you may not see this option. Please refer to the integration article for steps on how to add someone to 15Five.
- Use the form to fill in details for the individual you want to add to 15Five. The only required fields are 'First name', 'Last name', and 'Email'.
- Decide how you want the invited person to access 15Five. There are three options.
- If you want them to immediately have access to 15Five, make sure the 'Start date' field is set to today's date and the 'Send invite email' box is checked. An invite email that contains a magic link to log in will go out when you click Save.
- If you want to delay their access to 15Five until a specific date, set the 'Start date' field to the date you want the person to have access and make sure the 'Send invite email' box is checked. An invite email that contains a magic link to log in will go out at 8 AM in the employee's timezone on their start date.
- If you want to manually invite the person to log in at a later date, add a start date in the future and make sure the 'Send invite email' box is unchecked. Once you click Save, this person will be added to the 'Created people' tab (in-app link) of the 'Manage people' page. You can manually send them an invite email that contains a magic link to log in at any time by clicking Send invitation.
- Confirm user settings, then click Save or Save and add another.
If you see an error that says "User with this email already exists", that means the person's email is already associated with a 15Five account. In this case, you may simply need to reactivate them (in-app link).
- Click the 'Settings' gear in the top right-hand corner of 15Five.
- Select 'People' from the dropdown menu to open the 'Manage people' page.
- Click to open the 'Import' tab in the top navigation bar.
- You are now on the bulk import page. This page includes a table of all fields that can be managed via CSV. Please read these, as well as the formatting rules outlined under "Use the example below as a guide while following a few simple rules", in full before creating your bulk import CSV, as they contain important information regarding what to include and how to format each column. If you have any questions about specific columns, please refer to the FAQs section of our "Bulk import or update people" article.
- Download your company's current employment structure by clicking the Download current structure button at the top of the page.
We suggest downloading one copy of your current structure to keep in a safe place for re-upload in case any unintended changes are made when you upload your CSV, and downloading a second copy to make edits to. You can then upload the edited CSV.
- Create your bulk import CSV.
- Make sure that the Employee Identifier (employee ID or employee email) at the bottom of the page aligns with the Employee Identifier you used in the CSV file. If not, you can update it in Company Settings > Import Settings.
- Then, click Choose file at the bottom of the screen and find the CSV from your computer that you would like to import. Please note: the file must be in UTF-8 CSV format.
- Once you have selected the file that you want to import, a 'Preview import' screen will appear. Review the changes to be made. If the changes aren't what you want, click the Start over button in the bottom, left-hand corner of the page to stop the import and be redirected back to the bulk import page.
- If you want new users to receive an invite email, check the box next to "Send invite email to all in bulk import." You can change the subject and body of the invite email in the 'Invite settings' section of the Company settings page.
People who are added via bulk import with the "Send invite email" box checked will appear on the 'Manage people: Inactive' page under "Pending invitations". "Pending" means that an invite email has been sent but not yet accepted, or that an invite email will be sent to the person on their start date. People who are added via bulk import without the "Send invite email" box checked will appear on the 'Manage people: Inactive' page under "Created people". "Created" means that an invite email has not been sent and is not scheduled to be sent. You will need to manually invite these people by clicking the Send invitation button next to their name when you're ready for them to be invited to 15Five.
- Click Finish import.
- Depending on the size of your CSV, it may take up to 15 minutes for the import to complete. Once the import is complete, updates will be reflected in 15Five.
Some things to consider
Billing for invited users
15Five will not charge for created or pending individuals. You will not see a charge until the invite is accepted and the individual becomes active. Billing for the new individual(s) is prorated based on the activation date and the time left in your current subscription period.
Help Center article 💡: How does adding/removing people impact billing?
If a maximum user limit is set in your company's settings (in-app link), you will receive an error when adding seats that surpass the max number. The error can be rectified by either deactivating active 15Five accounts or increasing your company's maximum user limit.
Invites will expire after 30 days. If the invite expires, you need to reactivate the person via the 'Deactivated' tab (in-app link) of the 'Manage people' page. Invite emails will be sent immediately unless you specify a start date in the future or unless company invite settings (in-app link) are set up to not send out invite emails.
Are you new to 15Five?
Check out the "Getting Started" section of our Help Center for resources on strategizing, rolling out, and launching 15Five successfully!
📖 Related articles
- Understand the 'Manage people' page
- How to bulk import or update people
- How to use the 'Start Date' field to delay invites
- How to deactivate a person's account