If your objective's end date has passed and you no longer want it to appear as 'Past due', you can close and assess your objective. You can also close an objective that is no longer relevant.
Closing an objective does not mark the objective as complete. It holds the last known status, including the overall %, and updates its status to 'Closed'. Key result progress will also be saved using the last known value. Closed objectives will still appear under the Current, Past, and Future objectives filters. If your key results are all complete and the objective is showing 100% completed, you will then want to close the objective so that no other edits can be made.
In this article, you will learn...
- How to close an objective from the Objectives Dashboard
- How to close an objective from within your Check-in
You can only close objectives that you have permission to manage.
Want to pull a report with all objectives that are closed and visible to you? Check out our "Objectives dashboard & reports" Help Center article for more information about reporting on Objectives.
Close an objective from the Objectives Dashboard
- Click on Objectives in 15Five's main, left-hand navigation bar.
- You will land on the 'All objectives' page. From here, find the objective you want to close and click its name to open the objective page.
- Click on the gear icon in the top, right-hand corner of the page and select 'Close objective' from the dropdown menu.
- Fill out the assessment and reflection fields that appear in the pop-up window, then click Post assessment. If you'd prefer not to assess the objective, you can click Skip. The assessment of your objective and the assessment reflection will appear in the objective's activity feed. Anyone with permission to view the objective can see your assessment.
- Your objective is now closed. If your company uses Check-ins, the objective will continue to appear on your Check-in for one additional Check-in period in a greyed-out state so your manager is aware you closed the objective.
Close an objective from within your Check-in
- Open your current Check-in by clicking Check-ins in 15Five's main, left-hand navigation bar.
- Scroll down to the 'Objectives' section and find the objective you want to close. Then, click '...' to the right of the objective and select 'Close objective' from the dropdown menu.
- What's next? The objective will close once you submit your Check-in. When you close an objective in your Check-in, you will not see the option to assess the objective. The objective will continue to appear on your Check-in for one additional Check-in period in a greyed-out state so your manager is aware you closed the objective.