If you are new to 15Five and need an example CSV to work from, a downloadable template can be found at the bottom of this page.
Important information before bulk importing/updating users
- For a list of fields that can be managed via CSV import, visit the bulk import page in 15Five.
- You can list multiple groups separated by commas. For example: "Sales, SF Team, Customer Success"
- Any changes made to
active_group_nameswill override any current group settings.
- If you’d like to specify the group type as well, please include a tilde (~) in between the group type and group: for example, Departments~HR.
start_date= the date a new user will be invited to and have access to 15Five (mm/dd/yyyy). This field is optional. For immediate invites to be sent, leave this field blank or do not include it in your import. People without a start date will get an invite immediately and can sign into 15Five right away.
- The full list of timezone options can be found here: Timezones for bulk import
- Custom attributes need to be formatted as "custom_attribute".
- EX: "custom_department", "custom_birthday", "custom_onboarding_buddy"
- Bulk imports are not available for SCIM customers.
- Remove any empty columns and rows that do not contain data from the CSV before importing.
- To bulk deactivate, use the column header "is_active" and the input "n" for people who need to be deactivated from your account.
We recommend creating a backup of your company’s current structure before bulk importing.
Bulk import via CSV
1. After downloading your current company structure and/or creating a CSV with the applicable information, proceed to the steps below. Remember, the only required field is email.
1. Click on 'Settings' from the left navigation.
2. Click on 'People' to expand the people settings.
3. Last, click on 'Import'.
4. Scroll down and click on the orange button 'Choose file'. Open the CSV that you downloaded or created.
5. Review for any errors and click the orange button 'Finish import'.
15Five will not charge for invited/new users until the invite is accepted and the user becomes active. Billing for the new user(s) is prorated based on activated date and the time left in your current subscription period.
Success Center article 🗒: Check out our integration with BambooHR
Success Center article 🗒: How does adding/removing users impact billing?
Q: If I have SSO enabled can I upload my CSV file before we launch and suppress the email invitations?
A: Yes, ONLY if you have SSO enabled will you see an option "Do not send welcome emails to new users" and a checkbox. Check that box if you do not want imported users to get an invite. Important to note that if this setting is chosen, the email cannot be resent at a later time.
Q: What field do you read to know which user to update? Do you update every field every time or only the things that have changed?
A: We use employee email as the unique identifier. If you update someone’s last name in your CSV file you, but keep the same email, just the last name will be updated.
Q: Can I set or change people's reporting frequencies via CSV import?
A: We do not have an option within the CSV file to upload/update the check-in reporting frequencies.
Q: Should I enter Smart Groups into the Active_Group_Names field in the CSV file?
A: No, you do not need to upload or update Smart Groups through the CSV. Smart Groups can be enabled/disabled here. As you upload new employees, they will be placed into the corresponding Smart Group depending on the reviewer email you include in the CSV file.
Q: What does this error mean?
A: This error is common when you try and upload an Excel file instead of a CSV file. Save your Excel file as a CSV UTC-8 format and retry.