15Five's Request Feedback feature allows anyone to ask for feedback from their teammates at any time. The goal of this functionality is to allow feedback to happen outside of Best-Self Review® cycles and Check-ins.
In this article, you will learn...
Why we built Request Feedback
With the shift from annual to continuous performance, real-time feedback is on the rise. Companies heavily invest in training managers to give more feedback; yet research shows that most of the time, feedback fails.
The fallacy of real-time feedback becomes apparent when systems of unsolicited, manager-driven feedback are implemented. These systems trigger the ‘fight or flight’ response when constructive feedback is unexpectedly received, making it unlikely that the person will act on it. Organizations can never completely avoid situations of unsolicited, manager-driven feedback; but they can increase the amount of effective feedback when there’s a strong culture of asking for it. Rather than creating cultures of giving feedback, we need to be creating cultures of asking for it.
Request Feedback empowers employees to take charge of their own development by giving them the ability to actively seek feedback on what they want, when they want, and from whom they want. When employees initiate and drive the feedback agenda, they’re much more likely to act on it. Unlike other provider’s real-time feedback features, which can be anonymous, unsolicited, and unknowingly shared; 15Five’s Request Feedback has been thoughtfully designed with neuroscience-in-mind.
Our in-app tooltips and question prompts guide feedback requesters and receivers with science-inspired advice on how to ask for and write responses that align with best practices, and all your feedback (given and received) housed in one convenient place. Through our research-inspired product development process, Request Feedback adds anytime feedback to our already robust Check-ins and Best-Self Review™ and helps your company create an effective feedback-seeking culture.
What to expect
When you log into your 15Five account, you will see a new tab in the main, left-hand navigation called Request Feedback. This tab is your feedback hub and will contain a feed of all your given and received feedback.
What options do and don't exist within Request Feedback?
- The option to request feedback from any other 15Five users in your organization
- The option to provide feedback for anyone in your organization that asks
- There is not an option to provide feedback to someone without them first asking you
- Feedback can be seen by the requestor, the teammate being asked to give feedback, and the requestor's manager (if the requestor chose the option to include their manager)
- Feedback is independent of reviews, in-process, and visibility.
Request Feedback notifications
An individual will receive a notification when...
- Feedback has been requested of you by a teammate
- Someone has responded to your feedback request
- Someone shares the feedback you sent them with their manager
- Someone responded to feedback you shared with your manager
- An individual requests feedback from whatever teammates they want to select
- Nominated teammates write and submit feedback
- The person who requested feedback reviews all feedback shared with them, and can share the feedback with their manager if desired