15Five's Feedback feature allows people within your organization to share feedback with each other at any time. The goal of this functionality is to make feedback an ongoing process that happens outside of regular Check-ins, 1-on-1s, and review cycles.
In this article, you will learn...
- The 'Why' behind Feedback
- Key features
- What the process looks like
- Additional resources
The 'Why' behind Feedback
With the shift from annual to continuous performance, real-time feedback is on the rise. Companies heavily invest in training managers to give more feedback; yet research shows that most of the time, feedback fails.
The fallacy of real-time feedback becomes apparent when systems of unsolicited, manager-driven feedback are implemented. These systems trigger the ‘fight or flight’ response when constructive feedback is unexpectedly received, making it unlikely that the person will act on it. Organizations can never completely avoid situations of unsolicited, manager-driven feedback; but they can increase the amount of effective feedback when there’s a strong culture of asking for it. Rather than creating cultures of giving feedback, we need to be creating cultures of asking for it.
15Five's Feedback feature empowers employees to take charge of their own development by giving them the ability to actively seek feedback on what they want, when they want, and from whom they want. When employees initiate and drive the feedback agenda, they’re much more likely to act on it. Unlike other provider’s real-time feedback features, which can be anonymous, unsolicited, and unknowingly shared; 15Five’s Request Feedback has been thoughtfully designed with neuroscience-in-mind.
Our in-app tooltips and question prompts guide feedback requesters and receivers with science-inspired advice on how to ask for and write responses that align with best practices, and all your feedback (given and received) housed in one convenient place. Through our research-inspired product development process, Request Feedback adds anytime feedback to our already robust Check-ins and Best-Self Review® and helps your company create an effective feedback-seeking culture.
Key features of Feedback
15Five's Feedback feature enables employees within your organization to share feedback at any time. Employees can proactively request feedback from their peers on projects, presentations, or anything else they want input on.
Employees can also give feedback directly to either a person and their manager or just the person's manager.
The feedback dashboard contains snapshots of all feedback that you have received and/or given. Click ... to the right of a feedback snapshot and select 'View full feedback' from the dropdown menu to open the full feedback view.
Feedback in Best Self Review review resources
The feedback that's been given and received continuously through the year can be easily referenced by review writers during review cycles using review resources in the Best Self Review.
What the process looks like
When you log into your 15Five account, you will see a new tab in the main, left-hand navigation called Feedback. This tab is your feedback hub and will contain a feed of all your given and received feedback.
- An individual requests feedback from whatever teammates they want to select
- Nominated teammates write and submit feedback
- The person who requested feedback reviews all feedback shared with them, and can share the feedback with their manager if desired
- An individual provides feedback to a teammate and select whether they want to share the feedback 1) with both the teammate and the teammate's manager or 2) just the teammate's manager
- Whoever you chose to share feedback with immediately receives an in-app and email notification alerting them of the feedback
- The feedback is visible on the Feedback dashboard
An individual will receive an email and in-app notification...
- When someone requests feedback from you
- When you receive a response to feedback you requested
- When your direct report requests feedback and selects the option to share feedback with you
- When your direct report receives a response to feedback they requested (when the feedback is shared with you)
If desired, these email notifications can be disabled in your notification settings.